Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion SWEENEY TODD: NEW PHOTOS, NEWS AND POSTER…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

Here’s the news that’s out there…

First here’s the newest Poster. It has an old-timey “Hammer horror movie” feel:

Here’s two new Photos that Paramount has released…

Now the News…

‘Sweeney Todd’ Goes Wide at Christmas
    Can Johnny Depp knock out the “National Treasure” sequel?
    August 28, 2007

‘Sweeney Todd’Will Christmas be the right season for the Demon Barber of Fleet Street?

DreamWorks and Paramount certainly hope so. According to Variety, “Sweeney Todd” is now set to go wide on Dec. 21, rather than taking a proposed limited, Oscar-qualifying run on that date and going out nationwide on Jan. 11.

Directed by Tim Burton, the adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Sacha Baron Cohen. The trade paper suggests that after seeing early footage from the feature, the studio decided that “Sweeney Todd” might be able to stand out as a wide release from the start rather than being platformed to build buzz.

The biggest Christmas release currently scheduled is Disney’s “National Treasure: Book of Secrets.” Also expected to open wide are “P.S., I Love You,” the Judd Apatow-produced “Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story” and a number of limited award hopefuls including “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.”
    [http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-sweeneytoddwiderelease,0,6045953.story?coll=zap-news-headlines]

Tim Burton Asked to Butcher Sweeney Todd, Warner Bros Wants PG-13 Rating?
    Posted on Sunday, August 26th, 2007 at 5:40 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Warner Bros wants Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street director Tim Burton to “butcher” his own film, according to a report from the Daily Mail. Apparently the early footage from the film was so extremely bloody that the studio executives have become a tad squeamish and are requesting the film to be re-cut. In its present form the film would merit an R-Rating, but the studio would prefer it to be released with a PG-13 MPAA tag.

“Tim’s not happy that the studio is asking for so many cuts to the cutting, as it were,” someone connected to the film told the Daily Mail. “The thing is, the studio really likes the film and they want to make it accessible to as big an audience as possible – which means stemming the blood flow. But that’s a bit difficult for a story involving a guy who gets high slitting throats.”

In the film/play, Todd’s victims are sat in a mechanical chair, where they are subject to a slice across their throats, before a trap door in the floor opens and they slide down a chute into the lair of Todd’s mistress, Mrs Lovett (played by Helena Bonham Carter), who uses the dead bodies to make her meat pies. One scene that is said to have particularly bothered the studio bosses involved a “ten-year-old boy cutting up body parts, which were then thrown into a meat grinder and turned into mince.”
    [http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/26/tim-burton-asked-to-butcher-sweeney-todd-warner-bros-wants-pg-13/]

-J. Flynn

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I LOVE the prospect of this being R-rated. I mean, it has to be, right? Burton’s only gotten to make two R-rated movies, and “Ed Wood” was only for language. If he can match or outdo “Sleepy Hollow” for gore, I’m all in. It’s about time the gross-out movie franchises like “Saw” or “Hostel” got taken down a few notches by a good ole Burton slashfest.

gaba
    Participant

I too hope he won’t recut (re-slice? ;-)) the film. An above-average gory Burton would be a lovely thing to witness on Christmas!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s really sad that all it takes is a couple of pictures to turn me into the worst kind of fan-girl.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I too hope he won’t recut (re-slice? ;-)) the film. An above-average gory Burton would be a lovely thing to witness on Christmas!

I don’t know. A Rated R movie musical? The studio might as well just throw their money away.

gaba
    Participant

Why does it always seem, that the things I want to see most, are those which business-people consider a loss of money?
    ;-)
    I mean… an R-rated musical? Can I get a ‘hell yeah’?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The guy behind the last bazillion “Saw” movies has a supposedly gruesome movie coming out called “Repo! The Genetic Opera,” which is supposed to top all other movies in the disgust factor — Paris Hilton’s in it.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Hell Yeah! I cannot wait any longer for this. I hope the proposed “cuts” won’t happen.

Lucius
    Participant

As Bela Lugoisi said in Ed Wood, “BULL SHIT!”

–Rumors of “Sweeney Todd” Cuts Dismissed
    Much fuss has been appearing online saying that Warner Bros. wanted Tim Burton to cut some of the more gorey and bloody scenes from Sweeney Todd in order for the film to receive a PG-13 rating by the MPAA. But Variety has stated that these claims are false. “DreamWorks has always said it was an R,” says Anne Thompson of Variety. “Anyone who knows the show knows that it involves killing and meat pies.”

Mark Salisbury, who is writing the companion book to Sweeney Todd, also dismissed the rumors of Todd receiving a post-production slashing. Salisbury wrote on his blog, “all those reports of Burton being asked to cut back on the blood in the movie, don’t believe a word of it.”

Don’t believe everything you read…um…except this, of course.

Lucius

gaba
    Participant

Whew.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.