Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Burton-Elfman Feud

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

For years, I’ve been wondering what exactly their feud was about. In interviews they’ve said it was a “brotherly” type thing. Anyway, recently I was reading the “Nightmare Before Christmas” wiki and there it is claimed that the feud was over Burton not being happy over the work Elfman did.

That just doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would Burton disapprove? Is there any proof to that. And it so, why? Anyone got the answer. Ryan? RYAN?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think it had more to do with the epic battle over credit. I am sure Danny Elfman felt partly responsible for helping to craft the story of the film with his songs (at that point there was no script). There might have been a point where he and Tim sort of battled over who would be credited with what.

Artists have egos afterall :)

It certainly doesn’t make sense that Burton was unhappy with Elfman’s songs, as you can clearly tell from the demos that they translated to the film almost exactly the same (a minor lyric change here or there).

It was 1993 and neither Tim or Danny had really experienced any major career blows, and after 1992, were both at the height of their powers. It makes perfect sense that they would rub each other the wrong way over a project they were clearly closely involved with.

Unfortunately we’ll have to wait a very long, long time to hear from either one about what really happened.

Ryan

You’re right. Elfman did indeed deserve a story credit. You can listen to the soundtrack and get the entire story.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Ryan’s thoughts are pretty much my own. But I don’t think that Burton was reluctant to give Elfman a story credit; I think the studio thought it was unnecessary, and Burton just didn’t stand up for Danny, being the social wallflower that he was. In the end, the studio gave Elfman an associate producer credit, which pretty much means anything. But there’s no question that Elfman developed important chunks of story through his songs.

Thor
    Participant

Well, Elfman DOES have an “associate producer” credit in addition to his composer and singing credit, let’s not forget that.

johnmullin
    Participant

Doesn’t he have two music credits in end titles? Something like “words and music by Danny Elfman” and then “original score by Danny Elfman?” I always thought that was strange.

Nick Parker
    Participant

That type of credit is typical in musicals, especially musical films: the one(s) who wrote the songs may not necessarily be the same who wrote the score, so they have different credits for both. In this particular case, however, Danny Elfman did both, and therefore received both credits.

johnmullin
    Participant

Well, I know that, but since it was a one-man job for everything, couldn’t it have been one big credit?

Sort of like “Written and Directed By” ?

elfboy91
    Participant

Not really… if you think about it… “Score, Original Lyrics and Music by..” seems too long.. I think it works out the way it is.

Lucius
    Participant

Also, Danny has “Catered by” credit as well.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Yes, “Associate Producer” really is a frivolous credit. Harrison Ford’s ASSISTANT was credited as “Associate Producer” on K19 THE WIDOWMAKER, so that should tell you what it’s worth.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I agree, and I apologize if I sounded condescending in that one post.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well, Elfman DOES have an “associate producer” credit in addition to his composer and singing credit, let’s not forget that.

Ha, ha. I JUST mentioned that, Thor. :)

elfboy91, I always thought that “songs and score by” would have been good enough.

Anyway, before this info, I always figured the feud had something to do with “Little Demons”. It seemed odd that Burton wasn’t involved in that as a producer. I figured that Danny gave him the demo and Burton was like, “nah…I don’t think so” and he got mad.

elfboy91
    Participant

Descent Into Mystery, I understand.. but this was in the time of the big “Disney Renaissance” which had a lot of Classic animated films that Alan Menken collaborated with lyricists, as well as a few other musicians. Therefore it would be very appropriate during that time to acknowledge that Elfman did both music and lyrics by himself! Just sayin’…

I get what you’re saying, elfboy. On a related note, I was watching Corpse Bride on ABC Family and noticed his credit as “Songs and Score”.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Didn’t John August write the lyrics? That might make the single “songs and music” credit more reasonable.

Thor
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> Well, Elfman DOES have an “associate producer”
    > credit in addition to his composer and singing
    > credit, let’s not forget that.
    >
    > Ha, ha. I JUST mentioned that, Thor.

So you did! Serves me right for reading too quickly.

Thor
    Participant

As long as we’re talking about credits, does anyone remember how the credits read on CHICAGO? And the PSYCHO remake? I never remember that stuff.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well, after reviewing my liner notes, I see for Corpse Bride, John August got additional lyrics credit with Danny Elfman, except for The Wedding Song, which Danny got a solo credit for. Oddly, According to Plan, was labeled “lyrics by John August and Danny Elfman,” and not the other way around.

(FYI: August also wrote the Siamese Twin’s Song from Big Fish with Danny).

Now why August is credited so specifically in the liner notes is obviously unclear, it seems to me that Danny was giving credit where credit was due.

For Chicago, Danny got an “original score music by” credit, and for Psycho, a “produced and adapted by” credit with Steve Bartek… who I will see play Boingo music this Thursday! :)

For some more wacky Elfman credits, check out the end credits in Spider-Man 2. ;)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.