Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Death of Superman; What Happened?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Remember when Tim Burton ALMOST made a Superman movie in 1997? Someone made a documentary about it. Here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9fxWq5qg0

Lambegue
    Participant

It seems really interesting. I’ll always regret that this movie never happened…

Can you imagine the Danny Elfman score we could have gotten?

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’ll bake it.

dr.giggles
    Participant

Both would have been amazing

“Superman Lives” was scheduled for released in June of 1998. It would have been the follow-up to his double Academy Award nominations. In fact, the only scores Danny Elfman ended up scoring in 1998 were “A Simple Plan” and “A Civil Action” which were both small films released at the end of the year. So you can tell he reserved space to work on what would have been a gigantic score for Superman.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I don’t know whether the movie would be good or not. Certainly the visuals look to have been weird and different but the draft of the script I read was pretty terrible. Worst case scenario is that it would have been interesting though, which is more than can be said for the two Superman movies that have followed.

Had Burton done this, he never could have done Sleepy Hollow and therefore wouldn’t have landed Planet of the Apes. It’s weird to think about.

Tim Burton would have always done Sleepy Hollow. It would have just been released in 2000 or 2001 instead of 1999. But you’re right. He would have never directed Planet of the Apes. And I’m actually okay with that. His “re-imagining” is the black sheep of the franchise. So, I would gladly take Superman Lives over Planet of the Apes. I mean, look, even if the movie had sucked it would have still been better than Superman III, Superman IV, Superman Returns and even Man of Steel.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Sleepy Hollow was being fast tracked at the time with Kevin Yagher set to direct, it was being made there and then regardless of Burton’s involvement. Plus it was Sleepy Hollow that inspired whoever at Fox to ask Burton to direct Apes despite interest from James Cameron.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.