Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘The Flash’ 2CD set – Music by Shirley Walker 2/9/10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Great news!

From FSM:

“Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on our latest Limited Editions. We will start taking orders next Tuesday, Feb 9, 2010 at Noon PST:

THE FLASH – 2 cd set featuring the best music from the DC Comics/Warner Bros television show. Music by Shirley Walker, theme by Danny Elfman. Produced by Ford A. Thaxton. Mastered by James Nelson and Liner Notes by Randall Larson. Features over 2 HOURS of some of the best music written for television in recent memory! If you loved Ms Walker’s work on Batman and Superman you will love this!

LIMITED EDITION of 3000 units – $26.98″

http://www.lalalandrecords.com

Is Danny Elfman gonna write something about Shirley Walker that Ryan is never gonna get around to posting?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Well you could get around to buying the ANIMATED SERIES set :)

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Sold!

Well you could get around to buying the ANIMATED SERIES set

Indeed. If you don’t get the Animated Series album, you are really missing out. They don’t really write music like that anymore.

By the way, what Elfman says about Walker is f**king amazing!!! :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Shirley Walker was fantastic. When I was doing BATMAN with Tim Burton, He was looking for a conductor to work with, and Shirley was recommended. We met, and I felt good enough about Shirley to hire her to come to London and conduct the score. I was aware of the fact that there weren’t many female conductors and I was told that it would be even more shocking for the players in England to see one, which turned out to be correct. In thosedays, almost the entire orchestra was male. Females might comfortably fit in now with almost every symphonic section. But then, other then flute and harp players, it was almost all men. So the look on the orchestra’s faces when I introduced Shirley was priceless. That doesn’t mean, of course, that they didn’t respect her. I think Shirley may have had to try harder to gain that respect, but in the end, she certainly got it. In fact, I suspect that on occasion, the male players would misbehave a bit, just because they enjoyed being scolded by her, as she ran the sessions strictly and professionally. I believe they really came to love Shirley, and recording Batman there proved to be a great experience.

After that, I worked with Shirley on several more films and began using her as an orchestrator as well. When the Batman cartoon series was developed, I was able to write the theme music but was not able to contribute more. Shirley was hired to do the weekly score and she did an amazing job. She kept the music’s spirit and energy alive each week, effectively keeping the sound of BATMAN’s scores tonally tied to the feel of the movie. Through it all, Shirley was totally 100% committed to everything she did, and had an amazing energy and drive to her. She will be missed.

Danny Elfman
    Composer, BATMAN Theme
    Los Angeles, CA
    October 2008

You’re a good man, Ryan.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Hmm, the la la records site is broken. What gives?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Listen to “Baked You A Cake / Flash Struggles† / That’s All Folks!”

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Flash.html

Danny’s Flash theme is for sale at iTunes. It’s available on the album titled Music of DC Comics vol 2.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.