Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion The Incredible Hulk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

There really hasn’t been much discussion on this topic in quite a while. So, I ask, has anyone heard anything about the music on next summer’s “The Incredible Hulk”? I’ve been searching the internets looking for any information, and all I could find were people raving on the SHH boards about how the movie should have a death metal score (along with a lot of posts praising Elfman’s work on the first movie). Though it seems that the producers are doing all they can to forget the painful memory of And Lee’s “Hulk,” I personally think that Elfman should definitely be scoring this movie, and with a mid-June release date compared to “Hellboy 2″‘s August 1 release date, I think he could probably manage to do both.

RCox
    Participant

Could, but probably won’t. In interviews, Elfman makes it sound like the only reason he was even interested in the first HULK was Ang Lee. Unless he has a burning desire to work with the director of The Transporter, I think he’ll sit this one out.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Spider-Fan, sometimes I’m under the impression that you want Elfman to score every single superhero film. He has done so many that I’m not really excited to see him work on those projects anymore, as good as he is when he composes for the genre. What would be the artistic challenge for him to work on a summer blockbuster with the director of The Transporter ? Money maybe, but he can do better than that.

I really wish he’ll go back for more subtle and off-Hollywood projects (like he did in the mid 90’s) or continue with his concert work.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Yes, I absolutely love Elfman’s superhero scores, but the main reason why I bring up “The Incredible Hulk” is… well, he scored the first movie! Isn’t it natural to be curious about him maybe continuing with the series? Sure, it’s always nice to see him working on other projects, but it’s also really neat when he gets to build upon his previously written material. Let’s not forget “Spider-Man 2” and “Batman Returns,” which I think are among his best scores based on the added material and the expansion of the themes. Despite the massive amount of changes being made to make the sequel a unique movie, perhaps the producers might want the music to be similar in the same scenario as “Spider-Man 3.” So yes, I’d love it if Elfman went and did other projects, but I’d also love it if he did this one too.

DannyBiker
    Participant

It’s still Edward Bloom, it was time to change my username here too… ;-)

Well, Batman Returns was a completely different film from Batman, so there was the challenge.

I must admit that, although I really enjoy Spider-Man 2, it’s far from being a new take on the first score. It’s mainly the same stuff with “more everything”, like the film itself. It’s very nicely done but it doesn’t match the freshness and the heart of the first one (even Elfman confessed that in the 2004 Cinefonia interview).

Sequels are very rarely better than the material they follow, especially nowadays and if I was a composer, I would consider them an artistic trap.
    It’s different when you know from the start that you are working on a trilogy for example; there, you can build a really concrete and elaborate musical universe. Basic sequels are generally just the addition of a chapter for a book that was already finished. And most of the time, you can feel it. Even in Batman Returns, some variations of the Batman theme are more laborious, just because it’s getting hard to avoid repetition… – please people, don’t kill me for saying that ! :-D

KWashi
    Participant

“or continue with his concert work.”

I’m all for that :-D

gaba
    Participant

I second (third?) that.
    Concert. work. Con-cert-work. Somebody start sending smoke signals or semaphore signs outside the Elfman house, please. I suppose middle-of-the-night phonecalls, and unexpected graffiti is acceptable, to a certain extent, as well. We need to get this point accross. ;-)

RCox
    Participant

“Let’s not forget Spider-man 2…”

Yeah, let’s not. How he totally got screwed over and had half of his work jettisoned from the project. I’m sure Elfman will remember that before commiting himself to another Marvel film.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

“Hellboy 2” has just been bumped up to July 11, 2008, switching placed with “The Mummy 3” (necessary? Not really, but Brendan Fraser’s the man!) This would probably make “The Incredible Hulk” impossible for Elfman to do now. Happy now, haters? Still, who could top what Danny did for the first movie? It had that fantastic blend of nerdy science, painful memories, and ass-kickery. What other composer is qualified for that?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I interviewed to work on this film. I didn’t get the job. :(

Ryan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.