Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Tim Burton and Ray Harryhausen chat: Talk Bernard Herrmann…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

Well, they mention Herrmann (although sadly not Elfman) in the third segment. The importance of music is what is actually talked about.

Really interesting, considering Elfman and Burton consider this man a genius.

– Flynn

elfboy91
    Participant

That was awesome… Not really Elfman news but I LOVE this kinda stuff..

Bernard Herrmann is amazing and deserves way more credit than he gets… I prefer him to Williams any day..! It’s cool to see Harryhausen talk about his old movies too. Thanks for posting that Dawg Man… Really Cool.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thanks for this. Gonna watch tomorrow at work… When I should be working ;)

DannyBiker
    Participant

Well, that was certainly poorly filmed but quite amazing at the same time…

gordonblu
    Participant

there is only one word that can um up the difference between good stop-motion, and bad stop-motion, and that is the word Harryhausen.

I remember seeing films when I was 5 or 7, but on my eleventh birthday TNT was having a “MonsterVision” marathon of Ray Harryhausen’s work. They showed the 7th Voyage of Sinbad and I haven’t been the same since! It had such a profound effect on me. The quality I admire most is as they pointed out in the videos the character he brings to the creatures. When I watch films from the 80’s that have stop-motion, I can see the monster being manipulated by a “technician”. When I watch Harryhausen’s work, I see a fully realized performance.

As for Bernard Herrmann, I’ve always gravitated toward his stuff, again 7th Voyage is my favorite alongside Jason and The Argonauts and The Day the Earth Stood Still. When I was watching the Elfman commentary, I just about died when he said they were his favorites too! I’ve always wondered if I would hit it off with Danny or if I’d drive him crazy, but at least I know that I actually have something in common with him.

evil-dead
    Participant

Ray Harryhausen, Bernard Herrmann and I all share the same birthday…. weird….

Thor
    Participant

He, he…Burton comes off as such a gushing fanboy! :)

Natrebo
    Participant

If anyone is interested this was released on the 2 Disc Special Edition DVD of “20 Million Miles to Earth” – it contains a commentary with Harryhausen on the film as well!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.