Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Upcoming Live Performances from Danny Elfman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Rebel
    Participant

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum and I must say that I adore this site!

I was wondering, where can I find information on upcoming live performances by Danny Elfman. I would really love to go to one of his performances!

Thank you

Thor
    Participant

Uhm….I’m not sure what you mean. To my knowledge, Elfman doesn’t do many “public performances” anymore, at least not since Oingo Boingo disbanded in 1995.

But welcome to the forum! :)

Rebel
    Participant

Really? No more live orchastras at all? I thought pretty much every film composer still do shows. :{

boingomusic
    Participant

Well, Danny doesn’t conduct. I mean, he can conduct, we’ve seen him do it, but that’s not his job.
    These days, a lot composers who conduct their scores perform live concerts. I know Howard Shore does it. John Williams does it. But Danny Elfman doesn’t. I haven’t ever heard of a full Danny Elfman orchestral concert.
    But we can only hope it will happen one day ;-)

Dawg Man
    Participant

Your best bet is seeing him on the 22nd of this month at comic con. Just an interview…

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/08/comic-con-thursday-schedule-announced/

Rebel
    Participant

Where can I find old video footage of him conducting a live orchestra? I am particularly interested in him performing his Batman scores.

Thanks

bookbinder3
    Participant

I’m not sure what he has conducted, but I would say it would be a small group during a recording session, not a full Batman performance. And he has never ever performed his film music live anywhere for us to film, I dont think so anyway, shame, but hey, least he hasn’t let the ego get to him.

elfboy91
    Participant

Danny has rarely ever conducted. I think he conducted a piece on CHARLOTTE’S WEB and he was credited for conducting the PSYCHO remake, but other than that, he DOES NOT conduct.

He has stated in interviews that he thinks conducting is a very different talent!

So, one of the last places you’ll find him is in the concert hall conducting his old scores.

Better luck with John Williams and the Boston Pops.

Rebel
    Participant

Thanks for keeping me informed. Has anyone else ever conducted his famous scores in a mass concert?

bookbinder3
    Participant

Steve Bartek conducted PSYCHO. And though I see no mention of Elfman conducting a track for Charlotte’s Web on the CD liner notes, that may be in the end credits. Perhaps he NEVER conducts. So no, no luck I’m afraid. He has, sadly, never been a “mainstream” composer. You might need to become a fan of John Williams or Howard Shore if you want to go see them in concert.

Rebel
    Participant

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am a HUGE fan of John Williams!

He has, sadly, never been a “mainstream” composer.

High School and College marching bands play his music all the time.

elfboy91
    Participant

Well if you’re ever in Boston, The Boston Pops has no shame in playing him every year. I heard them today actually, they played STAR WARS and HARRY POTTER. Pretty fun!

And of course, Williams is everywhere nowadays conducting. I hear he’s in Pittsburgh soon.

Sorry, no one likes Elfman I guess.. at least not in the concert hall… then again, he’s not always a concert hall friendly composer.

Rebel
    Participant

Williams to play in Pittsburgh soon? I may have to look into attending!

Yes it is indeed a shame he doesn’t play in live concerts. Especially with such a wealth of amazing scores.

Thor
    Participant

He also conducted parts of or the whole score to DEAD PRESIDENTS (which doesn’t have that much orchestra in the first place).

bookbinder3
    Participant

He is quite widely played by school bannds, mostly because of his “fun” scores and themes, The Simpsons for example. I meant in the Classical Community. An Orchestra near me, should they ever play film music, play John Williams. All other composers are ignored.

elfboy91
    Participant

Rebel,

You should look into attending really soon.. Last year when I lived in Texas, FORT WORTH SYMPHONY concert tickets sold out so fast when it was announced he was conducting… If they’re still available, buy your tickets now!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.