Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Upcoming Movies, Elfman, Would Be Great For!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Elfman’s upcoming movie scores are Milk and Alice in Wonderland (which has a 2010 release date). Aside from that he hasn’t been hired for anything. Atleast not that I’m aware of. So…what upcoming movies, that don’t already have a composer attached, do you think Elfman would be great for?

These are my choices:

Monsters vs. Aliens. I was checking IMDb and there doesn’t seem to be any composers attached. Monsters. Aliens. Seems up Elfman’s alley. And it would be another chance for him to do animation.

The Wolfman. That also doesn’t seem to have a composer attached. Perfect project for Elfman to stretch his “Sleepy Hollow” muscles.

Natrebo
    Participant

I would actually like to see him score more “smaller” films – kind of like his works for “To Die For” and “A Simple Plan”. It would allow him to fully develop a lot of the more intimate sounds found in “S.O.P.” or bits in “Wanted”. Or maybe a score that allows him to use just the “band” sound like in “Midnight Run” – maybe some kind of heist film… I could really go for that!

Had Elliot Goldenhal not been involved, I think Elfman would have been great for Public Enemies. The Michael Mann movie about John Dillinger starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Alas, Henry Jackman is attached to score “Monsters vs. Aliens”. But “The Wolfman” does seem like a great film for Elfman to do, though Joe Johnston has a history of working with James Horner (whom I believe could also write a very interesting score). Aside from that, it would be interesting to hear Elfman score either a comedy or a film set in space… something that Kevin Smith has recently discussed as his next project. Hmmm.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You might get your wish if he scores this…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0875034/

“Nine” could happen since Elfman already worked with Marhsall on Chicago.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Gee, thanks for letting me know ;)

Monsterhead
    Participant

Hmmmm….? An American version of 8 1/2? I’s sure love to hear some more Elfman inspired Rota-esque music. I’m intrigued…

gordonblu
    Participant

I would have said “the Spirit” until I saw the new trailer for it. They should be calling that “Frank Miller’s Will Eisner’s the Spirit”. Yeeesh!!

It would never happen, but I’ve always wondered what an Elfman scored Star Trek would be like. The music wouldn’t be dull like the most recent entries and also might just add the spark that has been missing from the franchise since, well, forever.

To be perfectly honest the only upcoming movies I’m aware of are franchise type movies like Wolverine and G.I. Joe as well as the Watchmen and I can’t see him doing any of those nor do I want him to. Of the three Watchmen is the one I a, anxious for. We’ve already had three Wolverine movies and Joe is being directed by Stephen “Van Helsing” Sommers. Double Yeeesh!!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Let’s see… “The Spirit” is being scored by David Newman. “Wolverine” is being scored by Harry Gregson-Williams. “Watchmen” is being scored by Tyler Bates. “G.I. Joe” is being scored by Alan Silvestri (who is also scoring “Hannah Montana: The Movie”?!?!) An Elfman “Star Trek” score would be very interesting, but the sensation that is Michael Giacchino (very quickly jumped to the second favorite composer on my list after Elfman) is scoring the next film.

What about Seth Rogen’s “Green Hornet” due in 2010?

By the way, for those who haven’t seen it, this is a great website:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/

Harry Gregson-Williams is scoring Wolverine?! I could have sworn there was another composer attached. Interesting. Although Gregson-Williams is awesome. Definitely looking forward to that score.

gordonblu
    Participant

Gregson-Williams quickly sunk on my composer list after his excellent collaborations with John Powell.
    His scores for the Shrek sequels were flat and uninteresting and his scores for the two Narnia films were dull.

If John Powell was scoring Wolverine I’d be excited. His score for X-Men the Last Stand was the best part of the movie and one of two non-Elfman comic book scores that I’m crazy about. (the other being Marco Beltrami’s score for Hellboy).

I knew Bates was attached to Watchmen and it went without saying that Silvestri was doing G.I. Joe although that is one property that needs the “Hans Zimmer and his Ghost Writers” touch. I can’t think of a better recipient for bombastic power ballads than Joe.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.