Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Upcoming solo work

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Looks it’s been/is being recorded. Lots of fun teases on Elfman’s Instagram.

Robert Hutchison
    Participant

Love all the drums! I wonder if it’s an extrapolation of the stuff he was working on for Coachella?

Incidentally, Ryan, I’ve been trying to make a new post here but it hasn’t been working!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This forum has almost been as quiet as Elfman’s input as of late!

I’ll look into if there are any technical issues with posting.

Thor
    Participant

I like the percussive bits that he posted on Instagram, but less enthused with the grungey fuss guitars in the last couple of clips. Needs more synths!

DannyBiker
    Participant

First song is out on streaming platforms.

It’s…something ? I’ve never been huge fan of Elfman’s rock work to be honest so I don’t know.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I think it’s fun! The mixing seems off to me, but I lack the technical knowledge to articulate why.

I love the idea that this obscenity-filled song was permeating in his mind at the same time as a percussion concerto.

Thor
    Participant

I love it! It’s great mish-mash of Elfmanisms – a little bit of NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, a little bit of Philip Glass-ian minimalism and a little bit of punkish New Wave, Boingo-style.

Hope there’s more to come, whether a whole studio album or something else.

DannyBiker
    Participant

New song :

I like it better than Happy…but not by much ! 😀

DannyBiker
    Participant

Official link; sorry, can’t edit my previous post :

ddddeeee
    Participant

I LOVE this one.

Thor
    Participant

I like “Happy” more.

Both of these are a natural continuation of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers/Ninch Inch Nails-type sound that defined their last album in ’94 (the children’s chorus in “Sorry” brings the children’s chorus in “Insanity” to mind). Only darker. Personally, I wish he went back to his funkier and cleaner New Wave roots a bit more, rather than being all grungey and metally and fussy, but I’m just thankful we’re getting new rock songs from him. Would be awesome if these singles amounted to a whole allbum at some point.

DannyBiker
    Participant

It seems that he will be releasing a new track on the 11th every month “for a while”. So there will definitely be enough content for an album at some point…

ddddeeee
    Participant

I hope it’s conceived as an album and not 13 songs.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Ok, that one is my favorite of the three. More “on point” to my hears.
    And what an adorably weird video.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Love the video, like the song.

Wonder if all of the music is gonna be this…angry?

DannyBiker
    Participant

Well, this is his angriest yet :

I also realized just now why he releases the songs on the 11th of every month.
    I’m not a smart man.

ddddeeee
    Participant

This one’s my new favourite.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Aaaand album is out on June 11 (limited edition with remixes and alternative takes in Fall) : https://pitchfork.com/news/danny-elfman-announces-first-solo-studio-album-in-37-years-shares-new-video-watch/

Thor
    Participant

Not been that thrilled with the songs after “Happy”, to be honest. Too much fuzz and grunge for my taste, but I’m relieved there’s an album on the horizon. Means I don’t have to download Youtube videos anymore. I’m quite looking forward to the new version of “Insects”, although I’m expecting it to be grunged up beyond recognition.

Thor
    Participant

Also, I don’t agree with the 37 years mentioned in the article. They’re no doubt thinking of SO-LO, but that is a Boingo album in anything but name. So I think it’s more correct to use the last Boingo album as reference, hence 27 years. Still a long time, of course.

Thor
    Participant

Hey, isn’t there supposed to be a new song out just about now? I know it was postponed a bit from earlier in the month, according to Elfman’s social media posts, but I think 25th was the new date given.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yup indeed, it was the 24 or 25. Anyway, we’re not too far off the album now…

I also understand now why it’s released on the 11th. Yes, I’m really not smart.

ddddeeee
    Participant

I love ‘In Time’

boingomusic
    Participant

“Everybody loves you” is such an amazing song. And the second part is pure Boingo 😍
    Love it

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’ll give it a few more tries, but it doesn’t click for me. To be honest, none of the previously released songs really had an impact on me either, just a few that I appreciated more. But I know that if it wasn’t for Danny, I wouldn’t have given them a second chance.
    I was never a huge Boingo fan either however, so it’s no big surprise for me. I like their early stuff but past Weird Science, it became too much US FM Rock for my taste. And Big Mess leans more towards that second part of their carrier than the first (to make a shortcut).

That being said, the fact that such a huge fan of everything he does like myself doesn’t really like his rock stuff shows how versatile that guy is, even at his age.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.