Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Wanted video game

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DannyBiker
    Participant

While I could have post this in the Terminator thread as we are now discussing Wanted over there, I thought this was interesting enough to deserve its own thread : I’ve downloaded the demo of the Wanted game on my 360 and I was pleasantly surprised that it has Elfman’s themes all the way through. They are very faithfully adapted and it’s quite thrilling to play a game that is almost scored by Danny Elfman (Fable only had his theme that disappeared in the sequel and Lego Batman is just clumsy editing of Batman’s cues).
    The game itself is nothing great but is superior to the average licence games. I won’t pick it up when it comes out but maybe later at a reasonable price…:)

Nick Parker
    Participant

That is really cool! Who did score it, I am wondering? I remember suffering through the Spider-Man 3 game thinking, “I wish the composer used Danny Elfman’s themes….”

DannyBiker
    Participant

I just fixed that problem by turning off the music from Spider-Man: The Web of Shadows and replacing it with Danny Elfman’s scores in the 360 music player. Pretty nice…:)

Nick Parker
    Participant

That is what I did as well, but I just felt guilty for doing it… Man, a Danny Elfman video game score would be awesome!

boingomusic
    Participant

Wow, I love the wanted theme so much, I can’t wait to hear it. I really hope they release the video game score. Some Game Scores are so amazing, like Fable, of course, but also like the last Harry Potter game…

We should start looking for samples ;-)

gordonblu
    Participant

I don’t think Danny would ever do a video game! He has more class than that! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go listen to Fable….. wait a sec…

Nick Parker
    Participant

Oh man, I loved his Fable Theme so much. I cannot remember, did Russell Shaw do anything with the theme in either of the games?

D-Bo
    Participant

Shaw most definitely explored Elfman’s theme in the first game — not so much in the second — and did a great job, too. I thoroughly enjoyed not just the theme, but the rest of the score, as well. I think any Elfman fan would do well to pick up a copy of the album if you haven’t already.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The TV commercials and the game’s website have extensively used the instrumentals from “The Little Things”, which is pretty cool.

Nick Parker
    Participant

Well, I finally got the CD in the mail today. I did not really like the electronic stuff, but overall, I liked it. I was surprised, I thought I was going to have to listen to it for a week to appreciate it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Nick, you’re young, embrace the electronics before you’re middle-aged and bemoaning the fact that you let all the fun of youth pass you by!

Thor
    Participant

What do you mean, you just got the CD? Is there a CD for WANTED computer game? Or are you talking about the regular WANTED soundtrack?

Nick Parker
    Participant

Yes, I am referring to the film CD. I doubt the score for this game will receive a commercial release.

gordonblu
    Participant

Sadly, electronics are the future, my friend. Don’t get me wrong, I like electronics, but not for every soundtrack that comes out of the film industry. I’m just sick of every action film having to sound like the Rock anymore, and I happen to like the Rock as a score! That is why when someone dares to write a symphonic score I am so extremely jazzed, but even then I notice some electronica interspersed.

D-Bo
    Participant

I tend to view electronics as just another musical instrument for a composer to use in his/her palette, along with every other instrument in the orchestra. However, as with any instrument, it all depends on how it’s used, how tasteful it is. I personally love Elfman’s use of electronics, while other composers’ approach to them might give me a headache.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I prefer it when he uses it to accent his music in subtle ways that are not easily perceived as “electronic”, such as some of the material for Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

gordonblu
    Participant

I’m not saying I never want to hear electronic music ever again, but overemphasizing it like Hans and his Remote Control buddies(and evry other composer following suit to stay “contemporary”) is like having the entire score done only with the brass section or the string section and not allowing the ENTIRE orchestra to shine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.