Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion What Non-Burton Movie Would You Like Elfman to do a DVD Commentary For?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

He did DVD commentary tracks for Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands, Planet of the Apes, and Nightmare Before Christmas. All Burton movies. Which is fine. Although he tends to repeat himself as a result. But, anyway, which non-Burton movies would you like Elfman to do a DVD commentary track for?

In 2003 I would have said the Sam Raimi movies, but that’s not gonna happen now. So, I’ll pick Scrooged and Dick Tracy since it’ll be fun to hear Elfman talk crap about some people. And, Midnight Run since it was the first and only time Elfman got to combine his score and band work.

Also, he should include Steve Bartek on the commentary. Maybe the two could start a good conversation and Elfman won’t end up repeating himself.

boingomusic
    Participant

I’d say SCROOGED, it’s for sure one of Elfman’s scores I love the most. Can’t wait for it to be released, by the way ;-)

Or, I’d choose NIGHTBREED. I think this one would have a nice and pretty interesting commentary ;-)

Nick Parker
    Participant

I would love to hear his commentary for some of the more imaginative films he scored, like Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Looking through my meager CD collection, I would also love to hear his commentary on Mission: Impossible ( a very “milestone” score for him, I think) and his more subdued efforts such as Dolores Claiborne or Milk.

Thor
    Participant

I would like to see him do commentaries on ALL his scored movies. Perhaps even for some of the films with scores that he adores, like old Herrmann stuff.

It is worth noting that the PLANET OF THE APES commentary for the most part is made up of remnants of the interview. It is not a “commenting while sitting down and watching it ” commentary like the excellent EDWARD SCISSORHANDS commentary. Same with Burton’s. Kinda disappointing, if you ask me. It’s more interesting when they comment on exact things on-screen while it happens.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah but Burton tends to be boring when he does that.
    I find the commentaries tracks to be a very unnatural exercise. Talking about what you created is a hard task and most people aren’t very good at it. It gets interesting when they record the commentary several years after the release of the film, when the creators have actually some kind of perspective.

The only commentaries that I always enjoy listening are the ones for The Simpsons and Futurama; it’s sometimes as funny as the episode itself.

elfboy91
    Participant

OH totally agreed. The Simpsons Commentary rules!

considering he already did Red Dragon.. I dunno. Does PSYCHO count..? I think it would be fun for him to talk about doing HERRMANN for two hours.

I’ve only listened to Pee-Wee and Edward Scissorhands, so it’s a shame to find out that on Apes it wasn’t a real commentary. But, anyway, I did enjoy his Pee-Wee and Scissorhands commentary. My only problem is that he repeated himself a lot. Many of the stuff he said on Pee-Wee he said again on Scissorhands. That’s why it’d be good for him to do a non-Burton commentary track. He’ll have something new to say.

As for Burton, yeah, his commentaries usually suck. The three that I enjoyed were good cause there was someone else in the room. In Pee-Wee you had Paul Reubens with him. In Ed Wood he was alone, but the writers also did a commentary that was combined with his and that picked up the pace. And in Big Fish there was someone interviewing him.

elfboy91
    Participant

Elfman also did Family Man and Red Dragon commentaries.. I don’t remember any more…But I’m sure they’re still interesting. Planet of the Apes was still cool.. He talked about Batman a little.

He did Family Man and Red Dragon? That”s news to me.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

It is worth noting that the PLANET OF THE APES commentary for the most part is made up of remnants of the interview. It is not a “commenting while sitting down and watching it ” commentary like the excellent EDWARD SCISSORHANDS commentary.

Actually, in that commentary, Danny acknowledges that he is in his studio. I believe he says “here, in my studio,” when he talks about recording the percussion himself.

I’d love to hear a commentary on Hellboy 2. It sounds like he and del Toro had a real fun time collaborating on that film. On that note, Hellboy 2 has become one of my most-listened to scores. I hope he and Danny work together more… and I can’t wait to hear what Danny comes up with for the Hobbit. :)

Danny isn’t doing the Hobbit. Howard Shore is returning.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Sure, Danny isn’t scoring it now, but who knows what the future might bring. :) Personally, I don’t think Danny would do it if Shore’s music was rejected. I don’t think he wants to adapt Score’s theme’s — then again, I’d be cool hearing some Elfman theme variation; something that was lacking with Shore’s theme’s, all of them were played pretty straight forward, with little variation.

Thor
    Participant

TenderLumpling Wrote:

> Actually, in that commentary, Danny acknowledges
    > that he is in his studio. I believe he says “here,
    > in my studio,” when he talks about recording the
    > percussion himself.

He may very well be in his studio, if that is where the interview was conducted, but he is not watching the film while he comments. Same with the Burton commentary.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I agree that it’s not done like the lovely Pee-wee commentary; but I do think it’s odd that it’s supposed to be an interview, yet the interviewer’s voice never once overlaps with Elfman’s. Ever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.