Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Which Composers Can Adapt Elfman?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

While thinking of Spidey 4 and the new ways Chris Young can butcher Elfman’s music, the thought occurred to me: which composers could adapt Elfman’s music faithfully and successfully? Who do you guys think?

Shirley Walker was awesome at it, but sadly she has passed away. So…the only two composers that I can think of at the moment are John Ottman and Michael Giacchino. Ottman has already done a good job ripping off Elfman on numerous occassions. And Giacchino, well, I’ve been impressed with his score adaptations lately.

Also, the person who scored Coraline could be good as well.

boingomusic
    Participant

Ottman would be an awesome pick. I don’t agree when you say he ripped off Elfman. I’d say he’s been inspired by Elfman’s style, but he never copied anything. That’s why I respect this composer so much.

I totally agree with Michael Giacchino as well. Of course, Steve Bartek could do an amazing job. There’s also the guy who did the Darkman 2 and 3 soundtrack. I don’t remember his name, but he’s been very faithfull to Elfman’s themes and atmosphere.

As for Coraline’s composer Bruno Coulais, I don’t even want to hear from this guy… Everytime I hear one of his scores, at first, I’m surprised I like the melodies, and then I realize that the only thing I like about it , is the fact that it sounds like other composers. Only, his orchestrations are bad, and the man is way too proud of himself…

D-Bo
    Participant

Deborah Lurie, hands down. She’s already worked with Elfman on several projects, including Deep Sea 3D and Wanted, and she wrote some additional music for Spider-Man 3. She’s also apparently working with Elfman’s themes for 9.

boingomusic
    Participant

Deborah Lurie!!! Of course, how is it possible that I forgot to mention her ?!!!!
    She would be perfect!

The more that I think of it the more I think that Raimi should replace Young with Michael Giacchino. Giacchino hit homes runs with Speed Racer and Star Trek. Plus, he has experience in the genre thanks to Incredibles and he’s a fantastic composer outside of adaptations. Have you heard Up yet? That may actually be my favorite score of the year so far.

johnmullin
    Participant

I’m in the minority on Giacchino: I think his music is dull as hell and mostly just serviceable. I liked RATATOUILLE quite a bit, but his other scores have mostly been duds for me outside of their pictures. I just don’t hear any magic in his music the way that most people seem to.

I think Debbie Lurie does a fine job pinch hitting for Elfman when need be. I’ve enjoyed when Steve Bartek has gotten to do an original score of his own every now and again too, and I’m sorry that that doesn’t happen more.

I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by John Debney’s collaborations with him… HEARTBREAKERS and SPY KIDS both didn’t leave much of an impression.

elfboy91
    Participant

Wow! It’s funny to hear totally different opinions. I was talking to a film composer friend today and he loves Coraline! And I think Giacchino is an amazing composer! It’s really cool to see what people think. So many different views.

Anyways.. I think Giacchino would be a good choice for a film score such as Spider Man 4.. but I don’t think he can “ADAPT” Elfman.. Sure he replace Elfman and put in his own style, but not adapt. Both composers styles are too different in my mind. Same with a lot of composers. Including Debney! Who will do an AWESOME job on Iron Man 2! Can’t wait. Iron Man score sucked! I hear it’s not an official thing yet but Debney himself has his fingers crossed!

Yeah, I always assumed Debney would score Iron Man. Jon Favreu had a message board on MySpace for the first movie and I even asked, “where’s Debney?” lol.

Well, anyway, I think Giacchino can adapt Elfman. He did such a good job adapting other people’s score in Speed Racer and Star Trek that I think he can do it with Spidey as well.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I think Giacchino also did a good job of channeling the “big John Williams vibe” for his Medal of Honor scores.

Giacchino scored The Incredibles which sounded like something Elfman could have done.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I would say something more along the lines of John Barry.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Back when “Spider-Man 2” came out, there was a Lego short film made to go with it that was scored by Jason Graves, which had a great little theme reminiscent of Elfman’s Spidey theme. The whole thing sounded great. I think the guy even posted here. I think he did a good job working with Elfman’s style while putting his own creativity into it.

Michael Giacchino really is a master in my eyes. Film-wise, he’s been stuck doing mostly adaptations, but each time he’s done such a great job creating a very original score while allowing original themes to slip through minimally, like with “Speed Racer” and “Star Trek”. Then his fully original scores are fantastic, like the aforementioned “Up”, which so effectively set up the story at the beginning when there was no dialogue. So yes, definitely a vote for Giacchino. I would want him to score “Spider-Man 4” even if he DIDN’T use Elfman’s theme, he’s that good.

Others: Mike Verta, who adapted the “Batman” theme for a ride; Deborah Lurie, of course, because she’s awesome; John Ottman’s a good choice too; John Powell has emerged as a very good composer as well who could write in similar genres as Elfman.

elfboy91
    Participant

Also Giacchino did “Land of the Lost” just recently and if you know the old TV show there is a heavily featured banjo in the music. Giacchino did a great job with that on his yet to be released score for the film.. Can’t wait until it comes out.

Just thought that one was left out.. please continue…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Since John Ottman has been brought up by many, I thought this might be a teensy bit relevant. I randomly came across this website for the company that did the unused opening titles for “Fantastic Four”, which can be seen in what I assume was a rough cut, but with a synth mock-up of Ottman’s theme. I got the same kick out of it that I did when I heard Elfman’s “Hulk” and “Nightmare Before Christmas” synth versions. Link:

http://www.picagency.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=71

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.