Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Why is nobody talking about the Kingdom?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Natrebo
    Participant

I know most of the material in it is repetitive, but there is at least 15 minutes of engaging music. I can’t stop listening to this score, and even my “rock-only” listening brother has asked me to play the CD again in his car. Anyone want to say anymore about this score?

Dawg Man
    Participant

Well, it’s not my favorite. It’s not bad but it’s just outside of his style (the style that turned many of us onto his music to begin with), but it has it’s moments.

On the other hand, I think composers should try new things, as long as they return to their own voice once in a while.

gaba
    Participant

Sadly, I haven’t had the time to seriously sit down and listen to it. I bought the album on e-music, and still don’t own it on CD, that might be part of the problem (I’m a bit old-fashioned…) But I love what I hear, so far. I’ve been listening to a lot of world-fusion, fell in love with Trilok Gurtu and listened to a lot of Table Beat Science, so all the “world-music” elements are…er… music to my ears.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Well I got it on Saturday and have yet to really get into it. It may not even happen at this point. I’m underwhelmed to say the least, but I still enjoy the moments where I can really tell it’s Elfman – and not the standard CSI-type soundtrack stuff.

What more can I say, I enjoyed MEET THE ROBINSON’S a lot more…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Based on my experience with the movie alone, I agree. It’s the reverse with “Meet the Robinsons,” I’ve heard the CD but I still haven’t seen the movie. While I enjoyed parts of the “Meet the Robinsons” score but didn’t love it as a whole, this one bit that wasn’t on the CD is something that I really love — pure Elfman, and pretty much how I had hoped that most of the score would sound like. Yes, I’ve strayed from the topic, but I just totally enjoy this piece of music.

It’s from 0:23 to 0:50:

Monsterhead
    Participant

Hey, that was great to see and hear – thanks! I have not seen any of Elfman’s last three movies, so maybe I’m missing something. But like I said, ROBINSONS over KINGDOM for me. Can’t wait to hear what he does woth the new Morris doc too…

RCox
    Participant

There were a couple of variations of the family theme from “Meet the Robinsons” that I wish made the CD (notably when Lewis travels into the past). I guess I’ll have to wait until I find someone who has the complete score.

mubneosic
    Participant

The Kingdom might possibly be another turning point in Elfman’s career—-much like Mission Impossible was over ten years ago. His melodies became more “buried” in complex harmonies. Danny is evolving!

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, I can dig hearing his evolution, but all that techno-electronic stuff sounds the same…
    There are a few standout tracks (like MISSION IMPOSSIBLE) but over all, I think he can take this and expand upon it further. Something we know doubt will all be thrilled to hear.

I personally thought his greatest stretch was his Sereneda classical album. Now THAT’S something I want to hear more of…!

gaba
    Participant

I would disagree that all the electronics sound the same in this case – As much as there are common threads with the Hulk and Planet of the Apes, it’s a copy of neither of these, to my ears – I think it does actually push forward very much, stylistically, I do hear an evolution.
    Actually, I’m not crazy about the Hulk electronics in comparison to the Kingdom, and in the latter they are pretty fabulous – very intricate and at times totally ingenious (or it just might be my obsessive nature, you know, the type that jumps up and yells across the room to my boyfriend: “that SNARE! Did you catch that?! Fabulous. That snare!”. I can’t be sure. ;-))

Natrebo
    Participant

Just thought I would give a quick rundown of what I think of the CD at this time. I gave the tracks a rating from 1 to 5 *s just on the merits of the album. As far as the CD goes compared to other Elfman Scores I would have to say it rates as a ** (on a scale of 1-5). Again, even thought the overall rating is low I do think there are some promising things in the score that I can’t wait to hear Elfman expand upon in the future. Also, with many more listens I might find more of this score to love…

Track Rating

1. *****
    2. ****
    3. ***
    4. *
    5. **
    6. **
    7. ***
    8. **
    9. ***
    10. ****
    11. ***
    12. *
    13. ****

Again, this is based upon the CD only and not the rest of Elfman’s output or how the score worked in the film. Overall it has about 18 minutes that I return to a lot, but if I subtrack the repetitive last track then there are 3 good tracks totaling about 12 minutes that I find as a great suite to the score!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.