Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Zimmer’s Simpsons Movie Reaction…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dawg Man
    Participant

Yeah, there’s a few topics like this, but usually around other people’s reviews. I want to hear what you guys think of Zimmer’s take on Elfman. I made a complete 180 from thinking it was a horrible idea to finding it to be the best score of 2007. Zimmer didn’t just use the theme, he used the Elfman language of Russian influence, sacharine to over-the-top orchestration, with a Nino Rota-esue sense of comedy. Zimmer has used Steve Bartek as an orchestrator before but here you can really hear his talents because he’s essentially hopping into the style of another living composer with his own sense of melody and music. I don’t think I’ve heard a score like this from Zimmer… ever — even though “As Good as It Gets” was close. Doing variations on the main theme and turning it into Homer’s theme was another plus. It definitely heightens my respect for him as a composer. There’s more sides to him than Batman Begins and Gladiator.

Okay, enough from me…

– Flynn

DannyBiker
    Participant

Not much. To me, it’s the typical unimaginative music we get too often for animated films. Nothing disturbing during the film but incredibly boring on cd. I still think that this is (maybe the only) the bad choice of the film production. Clausen and even Elfman would have been far more smarter choices.

Listen to Giacchino’s Ratatouille. Even if it’s no masterpiece, it certainly has the grace and subtlety that is missing in Zimmer music. But then, it’s Zimmer…

gaba
    Participant

I don’t know, I enjoyed it greatly, but I think it’s a bit of a mistake to compare it to Elfman. What of Elfman do we have there to compare to? A brilliant opening theme, which was recereated nicely, that’s it. Since he never did the actual score to an episode (am I wrong? I sometimes get my facts tangled up) that’s the only Elfman reference. Now, of the rest it’s only fair to wonder if it did Alf Clausen justice, and I think it did, very much. I liked the score va lot (although I’m not a Zimmer fan…um… by a long shot), thought it worked great onscreen – I do admit I haven’t heard it on CD, and that’s a whole different story, I guess.
    Anyway, my boyfriend who is a huge fan of the Simpsons as well, said he didn’t notice a big difference between the original simpsons score in the series, and the one on the big screen. Which is, generally, all that I wished for in this particular case.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.