Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Zimmer’s “Simpsons” pays respect to Danny Elfman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

I gotta say, this score seems to be pretty good! I’d love to hear what Zimmer does with Elfman’s theme in addition to the theme that he added to the movie. Why can’t they do a First Listen for this? I really want to hear it!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I’ve heard the score and it’s pretty fantastic. Shows more respect for Danny Elfman than the SPIDER-MAN 3 situation, and we’re talking the mega-status Hans Zimmer here. He knows that the theme is a major part of THE SIMPSONS make up.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Zimmer is really doing well this summer! First his great “Pirates 3” score, and now this apparently. I really can’t think of any other scores I heard this summer that I likes as much as “At World’s End.” Dare I ask for an exclusive Cinemusic preview of “The Simpsons,” Ryan? Of course, if that’s not allowed, I totally understand.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I guess there’s no Alf Clausen tribute… :-(

Lucius
    Participant

I too have heard this score, and it is amazing. Total respect for Elfman’s theme, not to mention his style, but not in a hacky rip-off kind of way. (cough…Horner…Casper..cough). Elfman established a tone for the Simpson’s and Zimmer expanded upon it respectfully. Even his new theme is a broad variation of the main theme. Hats off to Zimmer for pumping out some great music this summer. This will tide us Elfman fans over until ‘The Kingdom’ comes out.

Dawg Man
    Participant

It’s fantastic to hear Zimmer can channel Elfman’s voice and keep true to himself. I was against this first (even put up a petition) but have since changed my mind — a couple months back infact.

So hopefully — and this will almost certainly not happen — the next Batman movie he’ll do a similar nod to an old iconic “theme” of the past…

But Isn’t this ironic? The Mission: Impossible movies, the Hannibal movies, the Batman movies and now The Simpsons movie. So different but when he actually HAS to quote Elfman he excells at it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Look for the “Simpson’s Theme” performed by Green Day on iTunes.

I will be adding a page on the soundtrack album once I get a few other things sorted with the site first.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The Green Day adaptation doesn’t do anything for me, but then again the band’s recent work never did, either. However, I went and listened to the iTunes samples from Zimmer’s score for the movie, and I was completely taken by surprise, in a good way! He totally channels Elfman while keeping it original. And there were moments when I actually laughed out loud because there were elements I never thought I’d ever hear in a film score, let alone a Zimmer score. For example, in the track “Clap for Alaska,” right after some beautiful, swirling, ascending strings, he’s got the whole chorus saying, “Aaaaaalllllaaaaasssskaa.” And then there’s the track “Spider Pig,” which is just so out there that you cant help but laugh. I wonder how that one gets used in the movie… Anyway, the score just might be one I need to buy, and it might even coax me into seeing the movie!

By the way, has anyone else read that Zimmer announced he’s not allowing any more of his scores to be submitted for Oscar consideration? I can’t quite gauge this one… is he being pompous or being considerate to the other composers who haven’t been nominated nearly as much as he has, let alone at all?

http://hans-zimmer.com/fr/index.php

Holy Crap! Steve Bartek orchestrated the Simpsons movie! You can read the credits here:

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=705

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Looks like a laundry list of additional composers!

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

A laundry list of additional composers isn’t an unusual thing for a Zimmer score, is it? Anyway, I’m sure the album material is all his. Listening to more of if, I can’t help but be fondly reminded of “The Lion King” during certain parts involving the chorus (after listening to the “Clap for Alaska” sample, I went back and listened to “This Land” and realized how good it felt to hear Zimmer back in that kind of territory, despite the fact that it’s far more serious in “The Lion King” and self-mocking in “The Simpsons Movie”). Oh man, if ever a score earned every bit of its Oscar, it was Zimmer’s “The Lion King.” Nostalgic sigh.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Wow, if you’d told me Elfman wrote this, I’d believe it!

Go here:
    http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=705

Scroll down to mp3 extracts and listen to sample 2 and tell me if that doesn’t sound like Pee Wee!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Never a fan of THE LION KING.

Might I remind you that both BLACK BEAUTY and DOLORES CLAIBORNE were eligible for Oscars that year…

Ryan

I saw the movie today. It’s pretty good. And the music is so, um, UN-Zimmer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.