Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Deborah Lurie Scoring “9”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Monsterhead
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

Although imdb is no reliable source of information, I am still not convinced that Elfman will score this. A description on the Apple trailers website is no official announcement…

Dawg Man
    Participant

It wasn’t just a description. They get the video and a media release, and the release sent out to apple.com for the movie stated clearly that Elfman is scoring it. Maybe she’s doing incidental work, but I’m sure Elfman is scoring it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This article, posted yesterday states:

Ksander said the “dark” look of the film really attracted people. “People were coming from other big studios to work on our film, and people were getting excited.” And Danny “Oingo Boingo” Elfman is scoring the film with Acker right now. He added, “the feature film feels like the same world as the short.”

http://io9.com/5162487/new-footage-from-9-tore-our-stuffing-out

Monsterhead
    Participant

Well, I’ll believe it when I hear it. And hasn’t Danny lived down the “Oingo Boing” parenthesis in his name by now? Sheesh…

9fingeredElf
    Participant

This is from a panel at Wondercon in San Francisco on the movie.

“Most recently, Danny Elfman has been brought on to write some music for the film.”

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/wondercon-20099/

boingomusic
    Participant

Is this Elfman’s music, at the end or the trailer (2) :

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809704882/video

DannyBiker
    Participant

Sounds like typical trailer stock music to me…

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

No, that is a Coheed & Cambria song.

Anonymous
    Inactive

rkeaveney, I want “9” samples! =)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Nick Parker
    Participant

Those samples are alright. I wonder how much music Danny Elfman wrote….

I hate samples where they only include the build up. Yeah, Ryan needs to post his samples ASAP.

Thor
    Participant

Ehm….am I the only one who doesn’t see any samples at that Amazon page?

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Here’s some samples: http://thurly.net//40s

Thor
    Participant

Thanks. Sounds like typical dark and foreboding stuff.

Interestingly, this is not the first time Lurie and Elfman have “collaborated” on a movie. In 2004, Lurie scored the high school chick flick THE SLEEPOVER, which features a live performance of OIngo Boingo’s “We Close Our Eyes” by the band Allister. Just a piece of trivia.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Here’s an audio interview with Deborah Lurie by Daniel Schweiger. Deborah talks about working with Danny, et al. Great stuff!

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=3692

Nick Parker
    Participant

She also assisted in some capacity with Charlotte’s Web, am I correct?

Thor
    Participant

I’m not sure about CHARLOTTE’S WEB, but she obviously did work on the DEEP SEA 3D film, and according to the latest Daniel Schweiger interview – also WANTED, which I didn’t know. So they apparently have some sort of connection.

boingomusic
    Participant

Just finished listening to the “9” cd, and it’s AMAZING !

There are at least two major indentifiable themes, and Lurie really captures the Elfman sound, while adding her own ideas. There is one very heroic 10 notes theme, and another quiet theme. There is also a very elfman-y succession of chords that is used during the whole cd.

I can’t really tell more, for now, because I have to hear it again, but trust me, if you like Elfman, you’ll be more than happy with this cd! I already loooove it !

TenderLumpling
    Participant

…if you like Elfman, you’ll be more than happy with this cd! I already loooove it !

Well, she uses Danny’s theme’s, right?

boingomusic
    Participant

Yes, she does, and these themes are beautiful ;-)

Saw the movie today. The score is pretty good.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I thought the score worked well in the film, even if it was dialed a little bit too low in the mix. Might have been the theater I was in, considering the movie is geared towards kids and most projectionists go light on the volume to not blow the kiddie’s ears.

D-Bo
    Participant

Geared towards kids? The movie’s PG-13. Some of the imagery is pretty darn frightening. Not that it matters much because parents are gonna take their kids anyway, just because it’s an animated film.

And I wish I went to your theater! The one I go to in my hometown always turns the volume way up to the ear-bleeding level.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.