Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Real Steel (2011)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

Elfman is scoring this Shawn Levy directed film staring Hugh Jackman.

“A boxing drama set in the near-future where 2,000-pound robots that look like humans do battle.”

Here is the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4K4fh4MGo

admin
    Participant

Robots that look like humans? Hm. I was hoping it would be a dark Sci-fi a la Blade Runner, but the trailer looks pants.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Wow, this looks super-crappy…

I forgot Elfman was scoring this movie.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Wow. Here is a soundtrack that I will be buying and a movie that I will not be seeing. Seriously, Terminator Salvation had more going for it than this appears.

lonzoe
    Participant

Shawn Levy interview
    http://www.collider.com/2010/12/09/shawn-levy-interview-real-steel-edit-bay-visit/

Those that don’t care for the movie or Levy’s interview, but just want to know about Elfman and the music in the film like myself. Look below.

Levy: … And we’ve all seen other robot movies, so you know that you get sonic exhaustion, so a lot of structuring the movie has been orchestrating quiet, and making sure that you kind of create those peaks and valleys, because if it’s all loud, all music… Danny Elfman is doing the score and we talked about the Evangeline and Hugh scenes, which are sexy, romantic. The obvious idea is you score those kinds of scenes. I was, like, ‘No, we’re leaving ‘em dry.’ Because the movie gets so sonically full in its fight venues, that I want the human drama scenes to play in the silences. So we’re choosing to leave those scenes actually simpler, sound-wise. So accounting for sound has been a big part of seeing these robots.

And with that, let’s jump into what Levy had to say during our extended editing room interview. However, since I’ve seen how popular bullet points are, here’s the highlights of what I learned while there:

•Levy wants to leave some scenes without any score because the fights will be loud and each one will have different music. Also, you can’t have the volume turned up all the time, you need to have some quiet moments

•The music will be a mix of hip hop and electronica

•When I walked into the building, I saw Tom Morello (from Rage Against the Machine) walking out. Levy says Morello is going to do some of the music and he “looked at five different scenes with Tom.”

•Crystal Method is coming in next week to see some footage and might do some of the music

•Every fight will have its own song/sound and he’s reaching out to a lot of musicians and hip hop artists

Looks like Elfman won’t be scoring a lot of the robot fight scenes or even the quieter moments for that matter. So why even call a composer with the caliber of Elfman’s to score this. Well another movie that’s going to waste Elfman’s talents. They should’ve went with Ottman, Debney,or some MV/RC composer for this instead of Elfman. I don’t know why Elfman would want to work with someone like Levy anyways. Besides I’m not of fan of Levy’s either. The only movies I’ve seen of his were the Night At The Museum movies and those weren”t even good. It’s sad because I was pumped for this score but definitelly not the movie when I found out Elfman was scoring it. Now my expectations have dropped considerably the movie looking like something Michael Bay’s movies would look like after taking a dump doesn’t help either. End rant.

admin
    Participant

‘Orchestrating quiet’?! Scores are quiet enough as it is these days!

bookbinder3
    Participant

I think he means finding time for quiet moments in an otherwise loud and bombastic kind of film.
    I’m hoping this will just be a one or two track contribution from Danny, like spykids or kick ass. Otherwise he will have been wasted.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

From an article with legendary Hollywood percussionist Emil Richards:

“Even though Richards has played in the orchestra pit for almost 30 Oscar telecasts — and even though he worked on the soundtracks for several films nominated this year — he won’t be playing at Sunday’s ceremony. He’s working on two new scores, one with composer Danny Elfman and one for the upcoming Cars 2.”

What could this score be? REAL STEEL I’m guessing…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can see Danny writing a good score for this film. There’s a little kid. A robot. An underdog story. Some action. This will be an emotional score.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Descent Into Mystery Wrote:

> I can see Danny writing a good score for this
    > film. There’s a little kid. A robot. An underdog
    > story. Some action. This will be an emotional
    > score.

But a crap movie.

Maybe it will suck. Maybe it will not. Watch the movie before judging it.

ddddeeee
    Participant

But that’s the whole point of the trailer, to judge it.

Anyway, the poster only credits Danny. Maybe he is scoring the whole thing afterall?

http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/05/30/international-poster-for-hugh-jackmans-upcoming-robot-boxing-film-real-steel?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

lonzoe
    Participant

Has Mr. Elfman completed this yet ?

I suppose he has considering that the release date is around the corner.

DannyBiker
    Participant

I’m so not interested in this.
    But then I wasn’t in Wanted either and look how it turn out…

ddddeeee
    Participant

Amazon says there’s an album out October 4th.

johnmullin
    Participant

According to this website(http://soundtrack-movie.com/real-steel/), this is the tracklist:

1. Fastlane – Bad Meets Evil (Edited)
    2. Here’s A Little Something For Ya – Beastie Boys (Edited)
    3. Miss The Misery – Foo Fighters
    4. The Enforcer – 50 Cent (Unreleased)
    5. Make Some Noise – The Crystal Method Featuring Yelawolf
    6. Till I Collapse – Eminem (Edited)
    7. One Man Army – Prodigy & Tom Morello
    8. Give It A Go – Timbaland Featuring Veronica
    9. The Midas Touch – Tom Morello
    10. Why Try – Limp Bizkit (Edited)
    11. Torture – Rival Sons
    12. All My Days – Alexi Murdoch
    13. Kenton – Danny Elfman

Only one score track, unfortunately.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

That looks like shit!

moongirl84
    Participant

I’m not to thrilled with the song list, not at all.

Elfman1972
    Participant

Damn it ! I’m not happy with these stupid release.

Hope for Score album only!

Natrebo
    Participant

I would expect to see a score release from Varese Sarabande on this one.

lonzoe
    Participant

Just what I feared.

DannyBiker
    Participant

So does the film anyway…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.