Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion 98 Oscar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

As we all know, 1998 was the year that Danny was nominated for two Oscars for Good Will Hunting and Men in Black.

I was just wondering, did Danny attend the Oscar ceremony? If so, are there any pictures of him there?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I don’t think he did. He didn’t attend for his latest nomination.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

He did, indeed.

Laura Engel, a long time pal from his Oingo Boingo days, was his date.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

That must have been before he lost all faith in the academy’s ability to choose well. I always loved his quote along the lines of, “If there was an Academy Award for Best Danny Elfman Score, I wouldn’t win.”

Spider-Fan
    Participant

This year’s Oscar nominations for score are Finding Neverland, Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket (quite surprising), DEBNEY’S Passion of the Christ, and a true surprise with JNH’s The Village. Spider-Man 2 did at least get 3 nominations, 2 in sound and 1 in effects, so let’s root for that one.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

The Village should win. Great score.

guitarfreak
    Participant

i agree dantz, great score for village, even though it was a dissapointing movie
    just like in signs, great work by howard

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

He was there and famously was over Jim Cameron’s shoulder… So he got lots of camera time.

Here’s a sidenote: the Academy recently amended it’s rules for original scores. They must now be a significant portion of the film’s musical content and cannot be diluted by songs. Had this rule been in place in ’98, THE FULL MONTY would have been uneligible and Elfman’s MEN IN BLACK probably would have won the “Best Original Comedy Score”. A category that has sadly been dropped.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Are there strict guidelines to that? Like for instance, was the presence of that song in Spider-Man 2 what disqualified it from the running?

Danny Burton
    Participant

“He was there and famously was over Jim Cameron’s shoulder… So he got lots of camera time.”

I MUST see that!!

Anyone with the show taped willing to post screencaps? Please do so.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

One song won’t do it. But in the case of THE AVIATOR, there was more songs than score, or at least an amount of songs which made Howard Shore’s music ineligible for Oscar (think the Academy is out to get him?)

Ryan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.