Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion About Spider-Man 2… urgh!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I suppose i have to be an ASS KISSER in order to keep my posts from being deleted, eh Mr. Keaveney? Especially considering my opinion wasn’t an original idea on this site of yours, as i’m sure you well know.
    I’ll remember that i have to be 100% supportive of Elfman’s career choices, lest i be wasting my time posting my opinions on this hypocritical site, which has since gone from a public appreciation site into a clan-controlled site…Thanks for proving to me yet again why i barely come in here anymore, and why i laugh at your passionate defense towards Elfman.

Anonymous

Well, this may be sick, but I saw Spider-Man 2 for the third time today, while vacationing in Florida no less, and I still have plans to see it twice more. I’m still in love with the Special Delivery cue, and I still love the cues every time Spidey is swinging (the new stuff, which is much more heroic/romantic). I really hope that Danny is signed onto the third movie because there’s so much potential with the themes that can be expanded into such great material.

Anonymous

Yes, Danny please PLEASE score Spider-Man 3! Spider-Man was the movie that got me interested in your music to begin with, and it would break my heart to have it all end with, ugh, Spider-Man 2. Hmmm, in that case, if Elfman does score Spidey 3…Raimi please PLEASE keep the scenes that Danny ORIGINALLY writes the music for so we don’t have go through this AGAIN!

Anonymous

Well I guess the good point of all this is that we can already listen to the music of Spider-Man 2 by listening to the first score cd…:)

Anonymous

It’s not a matter of Raimi not wanting to keep Elfman on to rescore but the fact that Danny had moved on to other projects when the re-edit of the movie was completed. Lay this on at the feet of modern movie making techniques. So Elfman was not available to rescore. I think that with the problems with Batman 2 (sound mix) and Spider-man 2 (last minute editing) that Elfman is pretty much feed up with the action sequel scores. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns down Spider-man 3 even if Raimi is directing it (and he will certainly turn it down if he’s not).

Nat

Anonymous

Ok, just saw the movie today, so here is my two cents hehe.

What a FANTASIC movie! It was so real it was shocking. They really made it believable and the camera work was CLASSIC Raimi. Acting was great, everything was great…except the music. I feel sooo bad for Danny Elfman right now, because I once worked on a project where the director decided to take one of the cues that I wrote and just slapped it through the whole movie. I just about died when I heard it. It sounds like something similar happened here, and contrary to what other people have said, I know FOR A FACT that it was not Elfman’s choice. Might not have been Raimi’s either for all I know, but it turned out very badly. The little bit of new stuff I heard I liked, but the re-using the score again was a very bad move, because this was a totally different movie, with a whole new atmoshpere that was MUCH more serious than the first. The music needed to be the same, and I am sure that Elfman wanted to go in the same direction as the movie, but something must have happened that stopped him from doing it. I REALLY want to know what happened, because unfortunatly, the music for the film was (IMHO) the worst part of the movie, and coming from Elfman, that is totally heartbreaking.

Knight (I hope Danny stays away from Spidey-3, sorry Sam)

Anonymous

so what does this mean will be on the score soundtrack? the same stuff or Danny’s stuff that wasn’t (I guess) in the movie?

Anonymous

Hey, there were still some good tracks on this new one. For example, a lot of the establishing music was good (Peter arriving at college late, the shot of NYC with the Big Fish-like music). Also, as I’ve said, all of the swniging scenes are brilliantly scored. I think I might be seeing it again tomorrow…

Anonymous

The worst part of the movie for me was how they just stuck a fusion reaction in the water??? Wouldn’t that just fuel a reaction all that Hydrogen and Oxygen being devoured by the “sun” that was created? I’m not the brightest person around but I do know that there is a reason that stars are found in the vacuum of space – because they eat all the material around them!!!

I’m just a bit disturbed by this aspect of an otherwise worthy summer film. But then again you do have to buy into the fact that a radioactive spider biting a person can give them super powers. So I guess I can believe that you can estiguish a star by dumping water on it…??? It’s like ruining the original Superman movie by having Superman reverse time, oh wait, that did happen in Superman didn’t it? ;)

I guess audience members aren’t supposed to notice things like that then?

:)

Nat

Anonymous

um, actually that scene isn’t believable, but not for the reason you’re thinking. a fusion reaction like that is extremely fragile. all doc ock would have had to do was nudge it a little bit with one of his claws, and it would have been over. but anyway, suspension of disbelief is almost a requirement for movies nowadays.

Anonymous

[very slight spoilers]

What?!?! You mean you missed the bit where Doc Ock throws two pieces of clock tower hand at Spider-man, but he gets hit by a mystery third piece? Or the bit where he tries to stop a train by breaking all the rail sleepers in its path (which should derail it)? Or the little girl in the firey building, who seemingly lifts Peter out of a hole? Or the number of times he lands on his back over a car (having fallen hundreds of feet) when he has no super powers? Or his ability to take his clothes off in sippy time despite not having Superman’s powers? Or the science babble he has with the good Doctor which somehow jumps from a few simple phrases to PP’s announcement of “an exponential increase in energy” or some such stuff? Or Harry Osborn managing to get hold of more of that rare and expensive material (in larger quantity) despite being “ruined”? Hmm.. I could go on but I see I’m starting to stray deeper into spolier territory.

Scary.

Anonymous

So you can put a star out with water?

Hummm, you learn something every day.

:)

Nat

P.S. I think I’m going to just keep watching those pictures being sent back from Mars and Saturn. Great stuff there!

Anonymous

I’ve seen the movie 4 times now, so I can answer a few of those questions. The “mystery third piece” is one of Doc Ock’s metal arms. When he tries to stop the train, the minimal broken sleepers would not cause the train to derail. The little girl in the firey building doesn’t life Peter out, he puls himself up; she just tried to lend a helping little hand. As for Peter landing on his back, he only does it twice: the first time he’s still got most of his powers, and the second time his rate of falling is decreased when he grabs a clotheswire on his way down. His instant clothes changes are a somewhat comical element that is not possible in the real world but is entirely accepable in the comic world. The whole science conversation is completely over my head, as I’ve only taken freshman biology at this point, but it keeps the movie going. Harry only says that he’s ruined in a sense that he’s lost a major investment and his key to fame and fortune…Oscorp is still financially stable, but he’s lost a bundle on Octavius.

HA! That’s what seeing that movie 4 times does to you.

Anonymous

Hey Nat! Did you know that after seeing Spider-man 2, NASA have put into action plans to make planets habitable within the next 5 years? Yep. They’re dropping toasters on Mars to warm it up a bit, vacuum cleaners on Saturn so it doesn’t look so dusty, wind breakers on Jupiter to protect against the storms, and they’re even getting Disney to populate Pluto with cardboard replicas of Mickey Mouse to encourage tourists!!

And thanks, Spider-Fan for that detail about Oscorp. You obviously have an industry insider. Do you own shares? ;oP

Don’t know what’s the matter with me today. But I’m lovin’ it.

And Knight, I think Raimi should produce Spider-man 3 under Warner Studios – that way he can track in music from Batman too!

Blunt(ed)

Anonymous

Hey Blunt, thanks for the info on NASA’s terra-forming plans, as for myself, I’ll be most excited when they finally Probe Uranus! ;)

Nat

Anonymous

that was dirrrty

Anonymous

In the words of Lou Costello:

“I’m a baaaaad boy.”

/>:)” title=”>:)” class=”bbcode_smiley” /></p><p>Nat</p></div></div><div id=

Anonymous

CMIIW but tritium is not that hard to get, I don’t understand why Doc Ock had to go to Harry Osborn to get it..

And I don’t understand why the fusion ‘ball’ can get bigger than its containment field, I assume those four tentacle-like pillars are the ones that create the containment field… Again CMIIW, hot fusion reactions need an extremely hot field and just a small leak will cause the temperature to drop and the reactions to stop, that’s why nuclear fusion reactor is much safer than nuclear fission reactor..

And Doc Ock tentacles, do fusion reactions need them? And as far as I know there’s no material can stand the heat fusion reactions need…

Whatever :) I love the movie, I’ll go see it again

Anonymous

Doc Ock: “These tentacles are impervious to heat and magnetism.”

The “science” in this movie is completely over my head, but reza, you seem to know the most about this sort of thing.

Blunt…I own several shares of Oscorp and we’re doing very well at the moment. Our stock symbol is OSC. Lately, business has been BOOMING after we invested in John Jameson’s latest space trip, and he says that he brought something back….

Sorry, I really know nothing about science, the stock market, or the Spider-Man comics. As Dr. Zoidberg often says, “I am so alone!”

June 30, 2004 is a date that Danny Elfman fans will always remember. And it was not simply because Danny Elfman’s score to Spider-Man 2 was butchered by a long list of people, but because of the confusion of what happened. 10 years later, we know exactly what happened but at the time – as you can see from this thread – we were all going crazy.

lonzoe
    Participant

Even though I joined this site in the spring of 2007. I used to lurk here before finally joining. And this was a nice trip down memory lane with all the hysteria going on about the score, which were sentiments I also felt about the whole situation.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Honestly, 10 years later, watching Spider-Man 2 is still an ordeal, having heard the complete original score. Some temp-track uses are bearable but others makes literally no-sense both thematically or musically (namely “Spider Fall” and “On the Case” which are both better versions with no discussion possible). I always feel that instead of taking the time to confront every original cue to its temp track, they just exported the temp track all together once Elfman left the project, only leaving what he wrote that got somehow approved. Dead lines I guess…

I even remember making videos of the Elfman rejected score added to the film but I had to take them down…

ddddeeee
    Participant

It’s a great movie so I can still get a lot out of it but the one thing above all else that gets me is using the love theme during one of Aunt May’s talks. Just no.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oh right, I forgot about that one !

lonzoe Wrote:

> Even though I joined this site in the spring of
    > 2007. I used to lurk here before finally joining.
    > And this was a nice trip down memory lane with all
    > the hysteria going on about the score, which were
    > sentiments I also felt about the whole situation.

I’m on the same boat. I discovered this site in 2001 or 2002, but I didn’t join the message board till 2007 (before Spider-Man 3) because of my schedule. Although, I was almost tempted in the summer of 2004 because of the hysteria surrounding the Spider-Man 2 score. I remember checking Ryan’s news section almost everyday that summer for some update or explanation about what the heck happened.

On a side note, I remember when DannyBiker uploaded the videos with Danny Elfman’s original music on YouTube. I shared them on every social media and message board I was a member of at the time. It’s a shame those videos are gone now.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.