Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Alan Silvestri’s Rejected Mission: Impossible score

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

As much as I love Alan Silvestri, I have to say his score really didn’t fit these scenes… I like the train sequence theme, but it doesn’t work with the images… Danny’s work on that scene was amazing, of course, not as thematic as Silvestri’s, but way better!

To me, Elfman’s Mission Impossible was a real twist and a new direction in Danny’s career. I love his mid 90’s period, when he started to compose scores like Dolores Claiborne, Dead Presidents, Freeway, Mission Impossible etc… Even if it ended with scores like Civil Action and SImple Plan (I really don’t like these two)… And then came back with Sleepy Hollow….! ;-)

I say it’s a tie to be honest. Some scenes Elfman did a better job and some Silvestri did a better job. HOWEVER, what gives Elfman the advantage is that he actually, you know, USED the Mission: Impossible theme. I think that’s what ultimately got Silvestri fired. Based on the music we’re hearing it seems like he refused to use the MI theme. Which Danny, surprisingly, didn’t have a problem using.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

That train scene score made me laugh a few times. There are places where thematic material just doesn’t belong.

Norby
    Participant

Danny kicked his ass:)

gordonblu
    Participant

The big problem I have Silvestri’s music is that the electric guitar sounds like it came out of Hans Zimmer’s butcher job of Mission Impossible 2( although the film itself was a butcher job as well so maybe the score was fitting).

What Danny did that makes his MI score so great is the fact that He utilized elemtents of 60’s style scoring and filtered it through the then current pop sound while also adding a very orchestral quality at the same time and it all gels!

Also the fact that He used Schifrin’s theme is another plus, that ending without Danny’s fanfare and Lalo’s theme was LAME!!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.