Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Alfred demanding me to remove “Victor’s Piano Solo”?!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    D-Bo
    Participant

I got this e-mail. Read first.

Our office received a complaint from Alfred Publishing for Warner Bros.
    Pictures and Warner/Chappell Music who own the copyrighted musical
    compositions contained in the feature file “Corpse Bride”. Apparently
    you have a link to a downloadable PDF file of an arrangement of
    one of the compositions from this film; a composition by Danny Elfman
    for which we hold the exclusive print rights.

They have no records of authorizing the creation or distribution of this
    arrangement and would appreciate it if this could be removed from
    circulation without delay and inform me when this has been completed.

Thank you,

Stacie Wiegand
    IT Policy Office
    Office of the Vice President of Information Technology

Ok, guys. I could take the easy way out and take it down. But do you have any better suggestions/arguments/etc.? This is not real fair. What about Cerulean Pictures (who’s site I can’t seem to get to right now, but that’s beside the point)? He’s got tons of stuff for free to download. Help…soon.

P.S. I just think they’re jealous. It’s better than theirs, isn’t it? Hehe.

Knight
    Participant

“Apparently you have a link to a downloadable PDF file of an arrangement of
    one of the compositions from this film; a composition by Danny Elfman
    for which we hold the exclusive print rights.”

It’s a touchy thing. I say remove it, because by copyright law there isn’t much ground to stand on. If they want it off, just take it off (and put it on a different website under an alias :D). Then again, you could TRY to explain to them that this is created strictly as a non-profit educational arrangement that is not given out as printed material, but rather on a digital medium (but I wouldn’t expect much from this). And if all else fails, just make a MIDI and anyone who has Finale or something like it can just load it up and print it out.

Good luck man,
    Knight

D-Bo
    Participant

Thanks. Well, I just talked to my dad about it and he also said I should remove it. (I’m trying, but the frikkin’ site isn’t loading up!) Arrgh! I will e-mail them back and tell them I’ve removed the link, but I may also argue my position and maybe use some of your points, Knight. Oh well, I’ll find a way. Maybe I could ask if the Cerulean Pictures guy would take it. I don’t know how he gets around that, but…I dunno. The whole thing is just stupid.

Everyone feel free to continue to give your opinions.

Dalboz
    Participant

I would definetely remove it. They’re probably planning to officially release sheet music sometime soon, and don’t want it available for free. Which makes sense, sorta, despite how long and hard you worked on it. :-/ Sucks, but thanks for doing it in the first place anyways!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Duncan – you got this email through this message board?

Ryan

D-Bo
    Participant

Actually, no. It was sent to my school e-mail (which I have never disclosed here) because I was using my personal university online space to host the file (I have found no other good, free space). Apparently, Alfred Publishing contacted someone associated with the university and that person was the one from whom I actually got the e-mail.

Kane0rz
    Participant

its probably because its on university webspace thats the problem because its considered that the uni is breaking the law with copyrighted material rather than a single persons non profit arrangements. i probably states in ur user agreement somewhere that u cant use uni services for commercial use and if they got a snotty letter from someone saying that their is “copyrighted material” being “published” on their network it becomes their problem and the uni could be sued big time lol. the problem would be solved if you posted it one a site such as cerulean pictures as it is assumed that it is a personal site made for non profit purposes. as already stated post it somewhere as a midi and let everyone print it off themselves….love the arrangement by the way :D

ta ta

Kane

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

They’re loosing millions upon millions of dollars because of you, dude.

Dawg Man
    Participant

The FBI is on their way.

evil-dead
    Participant

sucks you had to take that down D-Bo, I wanted to check it out. Did you arrange it with an ending? Wanted to see if you got a few things I might have missed in the voicings. Oh well…… can you email PDF?

Dawg Man
    Participant

It was arranged very well. I’d say it completely mirrors what was heard on film and CD. I played it on my Steinway and I couldn’t tell the difference.

tinkRbelle111
    Participant

damn… too bad u hada take it down… i wanted to play it… well if u get a chance email it to me. hopelesspunk111@charter.net . Thanx

Ehearing
    Participant

Could you please send me a copy? I’d love it.
    Thanks, E.H.

hearinge@cwu.edu

lemery
    Participant

Could you send me the file? pleeaasse I would be so happy.
    i_am_emily01@hotmail.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I ran into a similar problem a while ago when a friend of mine made a pfd of the music lyrics to DHT’s new interpretation of “listen to your heart” and he was contacted by the publishing company (i can’t remember which, sry) and they basically threatened to notify student services at the university in order to stop him. They can really nasty…so i would say if you havn’t already, take it down. Although, i would also say try to talk to them once its down about the educational purposes thing and see if they are willing to let you put it up.

Thats just my two cents, hope it helps! Oh, haha, and yeah, if you happen to still have it, I would really like to learn it for my girlfriend so if you could email it to me, its chriscerrone@gmail.com

thanks!

BassMan1191
    Participant

i think this is a touchy subject, but if they want to take it down let them. The reason i say this is because some people already have it and some person will come along to note it all out for us. So i say let them take it down

BassMan1191
    Participant

o yeah if you stil have it to send it to me as well PLEASE
    i will email you BROWNIES if you do
    bassman11@cox.net

PeterB
    Participant

I’de love a copy, too:
    peter.volk@gmx.net

cellardoor
    Participant

It’s bullsh*t moves like this that really make me hate publishing companies. I’m assuming wrote _your_ version of the music just from listening to the original and that you never saw the original sheet music (since, i’ve yet to see the original sheet music available.) you have an amazing talnet, and because your talnet _may_ put a dent into there HUGE profit margins, they have to throw the book at you.

unfortunately your host, your university, isn’t going to stand up for you. find another (yes i know it’s hard) free host. i’d also post it on the p2p networks like limewire and post a torrent file too.

cellardoor

milo
    Participant

Hi!!
    … I have no suggestions for you, cause I don’t really know anything about the business, but could you send me a copy of it (Victor’s Solo, that is…)? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!
    Thank YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Milo
    hp5_rocker2000@hotmail.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.