Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Amazing Spider-Man 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hans Zimmer is composing Amazing Spider-Man 2. He replaces James Horner. Anyway, this is gonna be another franchise that Danny Elfman and Zimmer have worked on. So it’ll be interesting to hear how different both scores will be. Especially after Zimmer infamously bad-mouthed Elfman’s Batman music.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Oh dear God, not that noise maker again…

Natrebo
    Participant

I remember both Elfman and Zimmer talking about Elfman meeting Zimmer at Remote Control before he started to compose the music for the new Batman series and he neither had a bad thing to say about Elfman or his score. What exactly was said about Elfman’s score? I do remember Zimmer talking about how Elfman’s score wouldn’t work in Nolan’s Batman… and he’s right. I’ve always heard that they got along swimingly with each other.

ddddeeee
    Participant

He said it was ‘jolly’ though he’s never said anything bad about it, in fact recently he said Elfman’s score was brilliant.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Saying otherwise would be like saying that Herrmann’s Psycho “could have been better”…

Any thoughts on Zimmer’s score?

ddddeeee
    Participant

I liked the score actually. Thought the movie was pretty atrocious though.

Thor
    Participant

I dig the score, both in and out of the movie!

The film itself is uneven, however — the script and acting are all over the place, while the action sequences are wonderful (great use of bullet time).

DannyBiker
    Participant

I guess I just don’t have the same standards when it comes to film music…to me, what Zimmer “composes” is pure crap. Something anyone with basic knowledge of a sequencer can achieve.

sandyclaws
    Participant

Does anyone else hear the theme for Wanted in Electros theme?

lonzoe
    Participant

I liked what I heard in the film and I enjoyed the movie as well.

Ryan P
    Participant

Zimmer didn’t even do half of The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises. He hired James Newton Howard to be a ghost composer. I spoke with Howard at a recent college graduation (he did the “keynote”, if you will) and he basically said that Zimmer wasn’t even there until the final editing process.
    Kinda sad, really. Zimmer has made some great music in the past.

And I can’t leave this topic without mentioning Zimmer’s lack of a Batman theme. Too scared to create a proper theme to follow Elfman’s iconic Batman?

Lambegue
    Participant

Allow me to doubt it very much : quite a lot of other sources don’t confirm what you say, and Newton Howard didn’t even worked on Dark Knight Rises. And I think that it’s really easy in “The dark knight” to guess who did what, the styles of the two composers don’t really mix at all in it.
    I can understand that ZImmer’s music and even way of working displease you : but he is most of the time rather honest concerning his additional composers, and one can find quite a lot of information about who did what.

“Zimmer wasn’t even there until the final editing process.”

That’s even stranger, because Zimmer works mainly before the editing process, by creating musical suites based on the script, what he knows of the movie and the images he gets of it : then, his additional composers come and rearrange the suites in order to correspond with precise passages of the movie. Sometimes it’s just editing, sometimes it’s arranging, and sometimes they have to write some new material.

Again, I’m not speaking here about the music itself. I kind of like “Batman Begins” and “The Dark knight”. I was very disappointed by “The Dark Knight Rises”. Still, none of them is half as good as Elfman’s two Batman scores in my opinion.

DannyBiker
    Participant
    That’s even stranger, because Zimmer works mainly before the editing process, by creating musical suites based on the script, what he knows of the movie and the images he gets of it : then, his additional composers come and rearrange the suites in order to correspond with precise passages of the movie. Sometimes it’s just editing, sometimes it’s arranging, and sometimes they have to write some new material. wrote:

Oh man, it’s so wrong to do that. It’s completely missing the point of film scoring if you ask me.

I think I’ll become a painter. I’ll buy the frame and pick the colours that shall be used and then hand them to my team. Even in the Renaissance they didn’t go so far…

Lambegue
    Participant

Well, I don’t have a real problem with the method as long as the result is good. It’s not often the case lately with Zimmer, even if his most recent works are better than what he did around 2011-2012 in my opinion.

Ryan P
    Participant

Hey, I’m just going by what Newton Howard told me. Maybe has has a reason for telling his side of the story the way he did.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought the movie was pretty atrocious though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.