Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion American Idol…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I don’t believe it.

I was watching American Idol tonight and this young gal was auditioning, singing “O Holy Night”. She was terrible. She tried singing “Silent Night”, the judges begged her to stop. After the girl left, Simon remarked “It’s like the soundtrack to NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS”…!!!

Ryan

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

OMG hahahahahaha OMG LOLZ LMFAO HAHAHAHAH!!! Ryan watches American Idol! HAHAHAHAHAH!!! ;)

Dawg Man
    Participant

Was that a slam?

If it was… Simon’s likely getting his ass jumped by Elfman some time soon. I can imagine Danny hiding out with a lead pipe somewhere in an alleyway outside the Idol studios. Then when Simon walks by, out of nowhere, he pounces and beats the hell out of him while singing “What’s this”.

Ross Marshall
    Participant

AHA! That’s the perfect idea for a Nightmare sequel that all these punk/emo/goth kids want so badly!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Hmm, is it a slam? Maybe Simon is referring to the spooky vocals in Nightmare, and how they’re sung by monsters and the like, i.e., Making Christmas.

His comment really doesn’t make all much sense.

That’s the perfect idea for a Nightmare sequel that all these punk/emo/goth kids want so badly!

It’s funny how the punk/emo/goth lot feels that The Nightmare Before Christmas was made for them. But it wasn’t. Nightmare isn’t a goth-film at all. It’s German expressionism as well an amalgamation and homage to vintage films from the 30s, 40s and 50s.

SleepyHello
    Participant

oh is it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

They just like it because they hang out at Hot Topic!

And yes, I watch AMERICAN IDOL. :)

Ryan

Thor
    Participant

Well, I think it’s a great punchline that I don’t believe has anything whatsoever to do with the actual film or score. The girl sang Christmas carols…so ‘Christmas’. And she sang badly….hence ‘Nightmare’. So ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’. Cruel, yes, but funny. :)

TJ

BLD379
    Participant

Hear hear, Thor.

guitarfreak
    Participant

yupper …..i usually don’t watch that show but did by mistake and saw that!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

oh is it.

Well, I mean, if you love the movie, than ultimately it was made for you, but consider this:

DRE: Both you and Tim come off a little Goth even though you were both older when it first hit big. Were you ever like that?

ELFMAN: No, I was never like anything. When I started in the 1970’s I was only into music recorded before 1935. So I was a freak. I’m closer to some kind of weird film/music nerd than like some kind of punk or Goth. Then suddenly I wanted to be in a ska band and I did this weird musical theater for years. I got all these different incarnations. But I’ve never been a punk or a Goth. I think I’ve just been a nerd with these like weird musical styles.

Coincidently, Elfman is always wearing black.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I HATE seeing all these goth people obsess over NBC, thinking it expresses their life completely. Sorry if I’m offending anyone, I’m sort of preppy.

asmilelies
    Participant

I very seldom would listen to the opinion of a man who wears his shirts tighter than mine :P

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I HATE seeing all these goth people obsess over NBC, thinking it expresses their life completely.

Yeah, ironically, the main theme of The Nightmare Before Christmas is that one should step into someone else’s shoes every now and then. One should experience something dramatically different in their life — to act and look differently — and to find passion in that.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I want to be a goth because it expresses how no one understands me like Jack Skellington in the Nightmare Before Christmas. No one understands me because I’m SO deep!

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Everyone understands Jack. Everyone understands his gifts. He’s a celebrity. It’s Christmas that his neighbors didn’t understand, that is, until they were able to experience an “unspoiled” aspect of Christmas, that being snow.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I very seldom would listen to the opinion of a man who wears his shirts tighter than mine

I don’t wear tight shirts. I have a gut that wouldn’t support it. But what I mean by prep is that I like to wear nice clothes that won’t frighten people off…or something like that. I enjoy impresing people.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I enjoy impresing people.

Me too — that’s why I wear my MacGyver T-shirt at parties.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I’m a preppy, nerdy, dark, metal, emo goth with 236 football jersies, 23 rock ‘n roll wigs and 543 colors of nail polish. So there. I’ve got you all beat in the character department.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think I’m the biggest sell-out here. I buy my clothes from American Eagle, and now that Abercrombie has opened in Toronto (finally!!), I no longer have to beat it across the border into the B-lo to get my overpriced, self-esteem-robbing A&F attire.

I wish I had a funky style, but I prefer to leave the oddities to the music and movies.

Ryan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.