Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion An ongoing list of Danny Elfman’s Musical Influences.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    triton_15
    Participant

Hi all,.
    I thought it would be cool to begin a list of music, and music artists that Danny has said influenced him throughout his life. I have listened to a handful of interviews, and these are the ones I have caught.

I will start it off, in no particular order. Please add to it, if you know any, I would love to know!

1.Bernard Herrmann
    2.Nino Rota
    3.Sergei Prokofiev
    4.Django Reinhardt
    5.Rogers and Hammerstien
    6.Kurt Weill
    7.Gilbert and Sullivan

Natrebo
    Participant

Erik Satie (Forbidden Zone) & George Gershwin (Dick Tracy) come to mind from the liner notes on the first Music For A Darkened Theater. Also He has mentioned Dimitri Shostakovitch and Philip Glass before.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Duke Ellington.

elfmanguy
    Participant

Cab Calloway!

gordonblu
    Participant

He has mentioned Carl Stalling numerous times.

sajrocks
    Participant

He’s mentioned Stravinsky in connection to the strings in BEETLEJUICE, and Jimi Hendrix in relation to the vibe of DEAD PRESIDENTS. He’s also said a few times if he hadn’t gone into filmmusic he would have wanted to follow the path of Harry Partch, which is evident when he uses detuning and modified sampling.

saj

Monsterhead
    Participant

Max Steiner. He wrote the liner notes/introduction to the Rhino soundtrack release a few years back. He also mentions him in the PEE WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE commentary if I’m not mistaken.

This is all good and fun, but what does it mean?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Franz Waxman

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.