Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Animated short film score

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Hi.

I just finished recording a song for a stop motion animated feature called The Heartless Duke. I thought you might be intrested to listen to it, since my biggest inspiration is Elfman’s work.

You can also find a cover version of GOOD FOR YOUR SOUL (the boingo song).

Here is the link:
    http://www.angelfire.com/film2/illusions/compos.htm

Let me know what you guys think (sorry if it’s slightly off-topic).

-Eric

ooshmaster
    Participant

That was great! Definitely sounded inspired by Elfman, even your voice sounded like you were putting the same kind of character into it as he does! Nice job!

Kipobe
    Participant

Very nice. I love the melody… and the fast piano keys (albeit brief) towards the end are very reminiscent of Elfman’s work with strings. I like…

elfmanguy
    Participant

i was just about to say the same thing! Nice piano work toward the end! the whole thing was very Elfman-esque! Good work!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Eric this was totally ON topic. Thank you for sharing your music. The song was great (shades of JIMMY CALICUTT) and I really liked your version of the HALLOWEEN theme.

Ryan

boingomusic
    Participant

Wow.
    I didn’t expect so much nice words… Thank you so much. That gives me the energy to keep composing, and writing…

Thanks guys.

-Eric

Kipobe
    Participant

I just listened to it again… I really like it. The beginning is also very Elfmanesque in so much that it has a “childish” appeal to it (something Elfman would write for a christmas time movie…. specifically Batman Returns — parts of “The Cemetery” comes to mind)

Please, continue composing. This world needs more talented composers.

evil-dead
    Participant

Wow. Great job. Your vocal inflections are definitely Elfman-like. I think the Heartless Duke is awesome, although I must say one thing: the song has so many Elfman staples (timbre and melodic/harmonic aspects: glock, certain arpeggiations, chord progression – minor third relations, neapolitan) – while it sounds damn good, it is so reminiscent of Elfman that it almost seems like you were purposely going for that – if you were – its cool – great job. I can see you have listened to alot of his stuff and hey- why not – he is the man. Keep up the good work.

boingomusic
    Participant

Thanks evil-dead!

Thanks so much for your nice words. I really wanted the song to sound like Elfman. I was purposely going for that. It was like an “hommage”, since the film is a stop motion animated feature, which is very dark, and looks a lot Burton-inspired. I didn’t want to do this for the whole score, but I really wanted that song to be like “Hey guys, here’s a way to thank the guy who made me want to compose!”

I don’t know how to thank you all guys, for your reactions, because for me, it really means something. I know you all listen a lot to the elfMAN’s work, and having positive reviews of my work from you all makes me really want to keep composing, hoping to score bigger movies one day.

Thanks

-Eric

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I can definitely hear the Elfman influence. Great job!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.