Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Anthony Kiedis’s Autobiography

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

In Anthony Kiedis’s Autobiography Scar Tissue, he writes about his band the Red Hot Chili Pepper’s opening up for Oingo Boingo.

On page 125 he writes:

(“…I had other things to attend to, one of which was opening up for Oingo Boingo at the Universal Amphitheater. Oingo Boingo had come up from the same club scene we were in, and they’d just kept going. They were’nt our favorite band in the world, but they had some interesting instrumentation. We knew there trumpet player, and he offered us the opening slot for their big show. Here we were with no record deal, a ten-song repertoire, and we were going from playing in a club before two hundred people to playing to an audience of four thousand.
    We went out onstage that night wearing our weirdest clothes. Right in the middle of the first song, Flea broke a bass string. suddenly, it was crickets time, and I had to talk to the audience while Flea changed his string. Withing seconds, the crowd was booing and throwing stuff at us, chanting, “We want Oingo Boingo.” But it was combustible material for getting the energy going. We started in again, and Flea was so wound up that he broke another string. At this point, Danny Elfman, who was the lead singer of Oingo Boingo and also a fan of ours, strolled onstage wearing a bathrobe and with a face full of shaving cream, as if he was coming straight from his dressing room. He took the mike and told the crowd that he really liked us and they should be respectful, and then he left, but the few unruly guys in the crowd didn’t heed his endorsement. We soldiered on and got cooking, and by the time we were finished, I think we let them know that we were for real and that they had just been hit with something they wouldn’t soon forget.”)

I was at this show which took place in the summer of 1983. I was one of the kids in the audience booing these poor guys. We were ruthless, but by the end of their set, they had won me over and most of crowd. Infact, it was actually pretty amazing to be apart of that.

E-man

Danny Burton
    Participant

“At this point, Danny Elfman, who was the lead singer of Oingo Boingo and also a fan of ours, strolled onstage wearing a bathrobe and with a face full of shaving cream, as if he was coming straight from his dressing room.”

Don’t you just love him?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

You bet. Oh, man, I would give anything to see that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.