Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion ‘Appreciation’ for regulars

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Okay, regular posters, this one is for you.

I ask that you not hotlink this file in other message boards, sites, etc. It’s fairly large (30 megs) and I don’t want people pigging out on the server bandwidth. First sign I see this on another msg board, the file will be removed from the server (and I am watching!!) B)

Basically what I’ve one is put back “Train/Appreciation” into SPIDER-MAN 2. To see how it works, etc. I had to do a few trims, copy/pastes, etc to make it work (and for the most part I think it does). It certainly makes the sequence thrilling to say the least.

Firefox/Mozilla users: It might work better if you copy and paste this address into your Windows Media Player (File, Open URL, etc.).

Windows IExplorer users: Why the hell are you using IE???

http://elfman.filmmusic.com/media/video/spidey.wmv

Ryan

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Thank you !
    I was planning to work on it during the summer to exercise my editing skills but I don’t think I would have done better than this. Great work !

I think that some parts of the Train track were composed for shots that are not in the final cut (I read that the sequence was longer at first) so maybe that’s why it doesn’t match everytime – that and Sony reediting…

D-Bo
    Participant

Wow. That’s cool! Thank you Ryan! I think I might try something like this myself; I had some other slightly different ideas of how it might have been.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Go for it!

If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I can get you the video file and then you can add in music any which way you want.

If I get a free minute or two I’d like to do “Aunt May Packs”.

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

That was awesome, thanks, Ryan!

And yes, that sequence was supposed to be much longer. I forget during which part of “Making the Amazing” it was shown, but you can see a scene of Spidey and Doc Ock fighting inside an office or an apartment and you can see a woman that seems to be a secretery looking in horror from a corner. I assume that as they fell off the clocktower, they were supposed to get inside that place.

That was SO AWESOME!!! Now I have a semi-related question, and I’ve probably asked this before on this board so bear with me. I think its very cool how you can add previously replaced music back on the film for which it was originally intended to accompany…how exactly can you extract used music from a DVD? My computer has no DVD-ROM drive so is there a way I can do it from my DVD player to my computer?

Thanks!

Danny Burton
    Participant

I’ve been watching that over and over again, and no matter how many times I see it, that swinging scene at the beginning of the clip makes my jaw drop every single time. And it’s ALL because of Danny’s music.

Those descending/ascending 4 notes sound so big, so heroic. Watch that muted and it’s amounts to nothing.

I swear to god, if that part had been replaced with music from another composer or rehashed stuff from the first film, I personally would hunt down and slay Sam Raimi myself.

SleepyHello
    Participant

Awesome!

Thanks Ryan!

Oh yeah, and I use Windows IE. So….what should I be using?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Wow, even though that isn’t in perfect synchronisation, Ryan, that is so much better than what’s in the final product.

Christopher Young is going to have his hands full.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Firefox or Netscape ;)

Ryan

SleepyHello
    Participant

I am now using Firefox.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I might be interested in editing it my way, I had other ideas. I’ll email you as soon as am I’m finished with the editing of my own movie :)

ooshmaster
    Participant

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Where’s Spider-fan?

Nick
    Participant

I guess it helps that the DVD has no copy protection.

I’ve done my own ‘isolated score’ clips, but using my VCR to record it…cheap, but its the only way I can, and the end result (when it works) is great.

Hoku
    Participant

What’s the whole story behind the re-scoring? Was it the director’s request? Or the studios?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

>>Okay, here’s the story in brief.

Sam Raimi did not attend the scoring sessions for SPIDER-MAN 2. Despite being invited, he was busy editing (and re-editing) the film. Despite the composer imploring the director to hear the cues on the stage, during the recording session, when changes could be made, the director declined. Instead, the director, upon hearing certain cues on the mixing stage, asked for changes. When it was too late.

Sam wanted Danny to ape the temp track for the E-train sequence in SPIDER-MAN 2. Elfman made several passes. Always keeping away from the temp, but attempting to give Sam what he wanted from the piece. Each time, Elfman was asked to go back and try it again. After several more attempts, it just wasn’t working. Elfman’s integrity would not allow him to rip another composer off — particularly music from a score only two years old!

The filmmakers then decided they would LICENSE the temp track from this two-year old film (not music by Elfman, Debney or Young). But the director of this film (who has veto power over everything pertaining to his films) declined Sony’s offer. (Integrity is not exclusive to Danny Elfman, it seems). So, without the licensed track for the E-train sequence, and without Danny Elfman, Sam Raimi asked Chris Young to score the sequence. At this point, Danny had rightfully walked away from the project and had moved on to CHARLIE and CORPSE BRIDE.

This whole situation could have been avoided had Sam attended the sessions and provided his feedback before the music was already recorded. It was the very least he could do to show respect for Danny, who had improved so many of Sam’s movies with his music.

Ryan<<

Danny Burton
    Participant

One of you guys should do this very same thing with the Doc Ock scene in the hospital.

I do think the scene works better without music, but Doc Ock is Born is one of my favorite tracks from the album.

I just love the idea of “CHARLIE and the CORPSE BRIDE”. I think Burton should have made that film!! LOL.

Can anyone (inc Ryan) say what source (interview, etc.) was used for that explanation of the scoring situation? The part about Raimi not attending scoring sessions is probably most important. I like having everything backed up by first-hand sources. Thanks if anyone can help. I probably missed this on an audio interview or something.

Ian/Blunt

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This is all info I heard first hand, in person. Obviously I can’t divulge sources.

Ryan

Thanks. Obviously not from Elfman, then, since he doesn’t seem too worried about complaining. I thought I’d missed a good article somewhere in America.

Ian

devin
    Participant

i’m using firefox and it aint working for me.
    which sucks because i’m very curious to see this.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Devin – please re-read my original post. The instructions for getting the file to play with Firefox is quite clear.

Ryan

devin
    Participant

right, i did those things.

turns out, ridiculously, somehow i didn’t have the flash plug-in installed for firefox.

anyways, i saw it, it was very cool, and thanks for putting it up.
    very kickass, indeed.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Sorry everyone, I was on a school trip to Italy for 2 weeks and was delayed in reaching these discussions.

Ryan, great editing job. I do have to say though that I can see what Raimi was thinking when he wanted a bigger score. Sometimes it seems like Danny’s music, while absolutely incredible, just isn’t heavy enough for the fighting, and what Young wrote really hit the spot with the action in the scene. Still, “Appreciation” was outstanding. Absolutely gorgeous when put in that scene.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Here’s my version of the scene :

http://home.scarlet.be/~mellow44/film/SpidermanTrain.wmv

The differences are subtle in the second half so I decided to change several things in the beginning; Ryan’s editing is the right one for that part (I had to loop sometimes to make it work) but it was fun to try something else.

Just tell me what you think of it ! :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.