Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Best Action Music Composer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

Definitely.

I can’t think of another modern film composer that can write such exciting action music like Elfman.

Batman’s “Attack of the Batwing”, Spider-Man’s “Final Confrontation” and “Revenge”, POTA’s “The Hunt”, Sleepy Hollow’s “The Chase” and Mission Impossible’s “Train Time” are just a few examples.

Rant and list your favorites.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Yes, Elfman can certainly hold his own ground. There’s also Williams, Korngold, Rozsa and, of course, Herrmann — they’re all masters of the action cue.

The Death Hunt by Bernard Herrmann, from On Dangerous Ground, is the most impressed I’ve been with an action cue in a long time.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Jerry Goldsmith. Alan Silvestri.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Ah, I was just thinking of Alan Silvestri. Klaus Bedelt is an excellent action composer (The Time Machine). I also liked John Ottman’s work on X2. Chris Young’s work on Spider-Man 2 was very nice, though not on the same par as Elfman’s music. Really, Danny Elfman is an excellent action composer, probably the best in the business. It’s just a shame that he has so often said that he doesn’t like composing action scores.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

>he doesn’t like composing action scores.

I think that’s got to do with… sound fx and film producers ruining his music.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

It also might have something to do with the grueling process of actually scoring an action sequence — it’s hard work.

I recall Danny saying in the Apes commentary that scoring action “is a bitch.”

SleepyHello
    Participant

I really, really don’t like Alan Silvestri’s music.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

I think his score for “Predator” was one of the best action scores ever.

JS
    Participant

For me best Action Music Composers are: Elliot Goldenthal-Batman & Robin,Danny Elfman-Batman,Batman Returns,Spider-Man 1/2.Alan Silvestri-Van Helsing,Michael Camen-X-men.
    Hey guys how to correct type Bernard Hermann or Bernard Herrmann.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

herrmann.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.