Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion “Blandness” Of Soundtracks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Weepy Donuts
    Participant

This made me laugh…

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article3564154.ece

Do you remember the Anne Dudley score for “The Full Monty”? Do you think more people recognize it or the “Men In Black” Theme? Dudley won the Oscar.

P.S. Zimmer – well, he’s a bit of a snob.

Dudley won the Oscar? I thought it was James Horner for Titanic.

Weepy Donuts
    Participant

Well, sorta…

They snubbed Elfman twice. It was something like this…

“Good Will Hunting” was nominated for Score – Dramatic. “Men In Black” was nominated for Score – Comedic. He lost both.

At the time I was in high school and thought this was a conspiracy to humilate Elfman. Who knows?

Spider-Fan
    Participant

My reasoning is that if Gustavo Santaolalla won TWICE in a row, then the Oscars have no real meaning. But I disagree with the commentary. The “classic” scores of the old days really only came out at most a handful of times per year. I feel that the same amount of memorable scores are released every year, though the best ones go without much recognition. The bland scores that they talk about are, I think, the ones that get nominated for Oscars nowadays. Only one of my favorite scores from 2007 received an Oscar nomination, and that was “Ratatouille”. I thought “Transformers”, “Pirates 3”, and “Ratatouille” had very memorable (or at least interesting) scores that will probably get a lot of play in future years — hell, even the Super Bowl featured the “Transformers” score, and it worked perfectly! Every year has its set of memorable scores, and hopefully that pattern will continue.

As for Zimmer, I can see he might come off as pompous, but I’ve heard that he’s actually a really cool guy, and he’s always seemed pretty humble despite the tone he uses in interviews. Maybe it’s his German/British accent? Anyway his output has been outstanding recently, so he was actually rather modest in that interview.

Oh yea! I remember now. Back then they had two categories. So…wait…what the fuck?! How did Elfman lose? I can understand losing to Titanic but Full Monty? I don’t even remember the score to that movie.

This is sad:

According to wiki:

The following composers have been nominated for a Best Original Score Oscar more than once; but as of 2008, the eleven living composers have yet to garner one. The number of nominations is listed in parentheses.

Living:

Randy Newman (8)
    Thomas Newman (8)
    James Newton Howard (6)
    Ennio Morricone (5)
    Lalo Schifrin (5)
    George Fenton (4)
    Danny Elfman (3)
    Philip Glass (3)
    Marc Shaiman (3)
    Patrick Doyle (2)
    Richard Robbins (2)

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

You really think any of them give a rat’s turd if they win a rinky-dink little prize that means absolutely NOTHING in comparison to what they’ve already accomplished? Think about it. These days, people like “eminem” are being nominated.

Dawg Man
    Participant

“Zimmer praised the craftsmanship of Williams (Schindler’s List, Jurassic Park) and Morricone. ‘There’s never a lazy note from them,’ he said. Gunning said: ‘I go to movies a lot and I find myself disappointed again and again [by] the blandness of the music. Where has melody gone in film music? What do you remember of Breakfast at Tiffany’s? Moon River by Henry Mancini. You can’t get it out of your head.’

He said that these days scores were more likely to be written by keyboard players with computer skills learned at film schools rather than composers trained at music college.”

Ironic, huh? I love a lot of Zimmer’s work but he, I believe, is closer to Elfman when it comes to his “conservative” music background, i.e. there is none. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he doesn’t write his music down either. FSM wrote a while back that he just puts it into a computer as well.

Nothing terrible, just ironic that he’s saying this in an article.

Zimmer doesn’t even writer half his scores!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.