Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Boomsticks in The Shire?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Monsterhead
    Participant

From IMDB News Today (4/17/07)

“Spider-Man 4” is beginning to look a little shaky – director Sam Raimi is looking to tackle literary epic “The Hobbit.” The moviemaker, who is the brains behind all three Spider-Man movies, has revealed he’s in the running to replace Peter Jackson as the director of the “Lord Of The Rings” prequel. And, if he does head to Middle Earth, actress Kirsten Dunst insists she definitely won’t be back for a fourth Spider-Man. In an exclusive interview with EW.com, Raimi says, “Peter Jackson might be the best filmmaker on the planet right now… First and foremost, those (Lord of The Rings films) are Peter Jackson and (New Line studio boss) Bob Shaye’s films. If Peter didn’t want to do it, and Bob wanted me to do it – and they were both OK with me picking up the reigns – that would be great. I love the book. It’s maybe a more kid-friendly story than the others.” Dunst, who was in Tokyo, Japan last night for the “Spider-Man 3” world premiere, insists she can’t imagine returning for a fourth film without Raimi. She explains, “It’s disrespectful to the whole team, I think, to do that. And audiences aren’t stupid. It’d be a big flop without me, Tobey Maguire or Sam. That would really not be the smartest move.”

Now I know that Elfman fans would want Sammy and Danny to make up for this movie, and I have serious doubts that Christopher Young could pull of the music needed for such a film – IF this all comes to be.

Still, I would love to see Bruce Campbell with hobbit feet!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This would be a wonderful project for Danny Elfman. The scoring process is so far away at this point that there is always the chance he will be involved, but it’s too early to tell.

Ryan

TenderLumpling
    Participant

This would be unbearably cool. But can Raimi ever convince Elfman to work with him? He tried to ensnare him for Spider-Man 3 and it didn’t take.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

This is coming out of nowhere, but I’m gonna say that Raimi would go with Hans Zimmer. Let’s go down the list of the regulars: he’s still more or less estranged from Danny Elfman, I don’t think Christopher Young would be approved by the studio after the “Spider-Man 3” mess, and it’s waaaaay too big a project for Joseph LoDuca. When it would come time for him to pick a brand spanking new composer, I think he’d going to want the cliche guy who studios love. I mean, who would have ever thought to pick Zimmer for a Batman movie?

Me, with all those composers aside, I would want James Horner.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Sam Raimi will hire Christopher Young if he hires anyone. It’s kinda ludicrous to say Hans Zimmer would score THE HOBBIT considering he has no relationship with the director.

Ryan

polarbrrr13
    Participant

as much as i would love to see elfman’s take on the hobbit material, i’m pretty partial to howard shore’s score for the first three. he did such a wonderful job with the different themes. with someone else’s vision of the book/script, it would be nice to see some continuity.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I agree completely. If anyone should do the score for “The Hobbit” it should be Howard Shore. And if not, his themes should definitely be kept.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

If anyone should do the score for “The Hobbit” it should be Howard Shore. And if not, his themes should definitely be kept.

How many themes would they be able to reuse?

gaba
    Participant

Exactly – with all respect, the Hobbit is a completely different cup of tea than the trilogy. Yes, there is a continuity, but that’s just a completeky different tale, and a different tone. As much as Shore’s music for LotR was fab, I don’t see exactly why he ought to be an obvious choice for Hobbit.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Well it’s not like Shore wouldn’t be able to adjust to the new tone. That’s a composer’s job.

gaba
    Participant

I know that. :-) I was commenting on Donnie_Darko’s remark, that Shore is an obvious choice and if not, his themes should be reused – I think none of the two are totally absolutely necessary, in my humble opinion, when you think of this new film. I do enjoy continuity… but I think the material is different enough not to consider this strictly a ‘prequel’.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

If the rights revert back to Saul Zaentz none of the themes from the New Line films are likely to be carried over to THE HOBBIT.

Ryan

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I think there are quite a few themes that should crossover. The shire and hobbit theme for one. Gollum’s theme. Even the ring theme when it is introduced. The Rivendell theme. It would just make the film that much more rich and in line because while it is a different tone and a smaller story, it is part of the bigger picture. It would be nice to be able to watch “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy and feel as a whole connected.

Natrebo
    Participant

Would you also say that Ian Holm (sp?) should play Bilbo ?

I would Love to see another person interpret this material. I wouldn’t want to be restrained if I had a different idea for the material. If I thought it was important for my vision I would use it, but then and only then. Kind of like how Singer handled Superman. He grew up with John Williams defining the sound of Superman, so he thought It would be wrong to go with something else. But if Tim Burton got that movie, do you think HE would have kept the John Williams’ theme? Let the filmmaker decide and then decided, we already have some wonderful music from Shore. Unless Shore himself were to do “The Hobbit”, I don’t think I would deny a creative “re-imagining” of Tolken’s world.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

But if Tim Burton got that movie, do you think HE would have kept the John Williams’ theme?

No, Danny Elfman would write new themes. But keep in mind, Superman Returns is a continuation of the first two Superman films, while Superman Lives would have been a whole new, original (and perhaps, exciting) story.

One of the biggest complains about Superman Returns is that it was a bit dull, which hurt the repeat viewing’s — in theory. I can’t imagine a Tim Burton action film being dull. I guess my point is that sticking with what works won’t always produce the most lucrative result.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

A re-imaging wouldn’t work in this case. I don’t think people would accept it. For one thing, it had been 20 years since the last Superman film which had totally sunk the franchise. “The Lord of the Rings” will only be 6 years when “The Hobbit” is expected to be released. The films are Academy Award winning Best Pictures. I don’t think people will accept an entirely different world. Changes yes… but a new interpretation? No… the films are too successful for that and it hasn’t been long enough.

As for Ian Holm as Bilbo? I know what you’re getting at and I think a new actor as Bilbo only makes sense as he’s supposed to be MUCH younger in this movie but I think it’s important to bring back Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis as Gandalf and Gollum. It should definitely feel connected to the trilogy as much as it can while still open to the vision of the director. Kind of like Alfonso Cuaron when he did Harry Potter. It was HIS vision but it still respected the world that was already established including keeping the composer and themes. Even the fourth film which didn’t bring back John Williams, kept the themes that were already established..

Natrebo
    Participant

I guess I’m too much of a stickler for creative control, and not just rehashing something that we have already seen.

It wouldn’t bother me at all if it was completely different as long as it was good.

But that’s me, and I’m wrong!

gaba
    Participant

I think I’d actually agree with you on the acting continuity bit – it’d be strange seeing anybody else but McKellen as Gandalf, and so on and so forth.
    The more I read this thread, the more I do think that maybe musical theme continuity would be great. I’m just all for shaking things up and fresh, new stuff.
    For example – we have something like the Alien Trinogy – three absolutely brilliant scores which don’t have much to do with one another, accompanying three very different movies (oh, right , there were four , but don’t get me started on that one…), and yet it doesn’t really break them apart for the fans (well, I can only speak for myself, that’s true :-]). As opposed to this, I consider the Ring ttrilogy as one humongously long film. But the Hobbit could stray, stylistically, as far as it pleases, in my book.
    I doth ramble – sorry, late hour.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

The X-Men films are similar. They all had different composers with very different sounds, yet each movie stands on its own and each score is appropriate for its respective movie. I don’t think New Line would want Raimi (or any other director) to copy Jackson’s style, and therefore a new score would be in order. Actually, this makes me think of something very funny… what if Raimi got hired and created a bold new vision for the movie, but the studio felt it wasn’t “Jackson enough” and had to hire another director to finish it who would be willing to emulate the style? As much as I love Raimi as a director, it would show him what he put Elfman through on “Spider-Man 2” and he would perhaps reflect upon it for the better…aye?

vjotto
    Participant

That would be unbelievably cool if Elfman did the music for the Hobbit. However I did like Howeard Shore’s music for The Lord of the Rings ( btw, i’m a HUGE fan of LOTR) and I wonder if they would ‘throw him back’ into Middle Earth.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

However I did like Howeard Shore’s music for The Lord of the Rings ( btw, i’m a HUGE fan of LOTR) and I wonder if they would ‘throw him back’ into Middle Earth.

I don’t know how he would feel about writing new themes, though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.