Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Chamber Work (Of Horrors)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sajrocks
    Participant

In this interview with classicfm.com, Danny talks about the DARK SHADOWS, his accidental entry into composing, his hope to record RABBIT this year and, briefly at the end, a chamber piece for piano and percussion he would like to start work on… http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/interviews/danny-elfmans-accidental-movie-career/

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

How about a chamber piece based on DARK SHADOWS? :) Danny could perform the synths live!

Thor
    Participant

Thanks for that! Great news about the chamber piece and a possible RABBIT recording. The list of unreleased stuff is piling up.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

That was last year. Hopefully it’s still in the works.

Thor
    Participant

Ah, didn’t catch the date there. So no news of this since last year, then.

sajrocks
    Participant

Fun, super relaxed 90-minute interview between Elfman and fellow horror buffs on “The Boo Crew”. Amidst the typical (but a little more in-depth) biography/process topics are a great opening bumper with everyone goofing off, Elfman mentioning his favorite recent horror scores, his fessing up to the Wendy Carlos homage in DARK SHADOWS, and at just after the 1hr 11 min mark, he mentions a new concert work likely to debut next year scored for “chamber orchestra, 12-16 female singers, two percussion, two electric guitars, bass and drum”!

Full podcast:Episode 27 – The Boo Crew Hosts a Deadman’s Party with the Pumpkin King Himself Danny Elfman!

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Just finished this up tonight, thanks for sharing the link before I could! Perhaps Elfman’s best interview? It seems like he could have talked forever.

sajrocks
    Participant

Hadn’t seen this before – lengthy, richly detailed interview between Elfman and the Lincoln Center’s “The Score” podcast about his classical influences and how he goes about composing his chamber works. Perhaps the first time he’s heralded John Adams? Also, calls himself a “commission slut” and notes that he keeps a “future file” of ideas and compositions that don’t make it into his film scores. 😀

KG: How much was the concerto floating in your mind though during that year and a half? Does it just completely go away and then come back? Or is it just sort of there?

DE: Every now and then, I would have like a little idea while I was writing something else and I would kind of write that idea down and tuck it away in a “for the future” file. And one of them did survive, just as at least a beginning, an idea. So yeah, sometimes I’m writing something for a movie and I get some kind of thing in my head, and as I’m putting it together I go, “All right, this will just never work for the film. But it’s interesting.” And I’ll put it in one of two files: either future possible film thing, because it’s that kind of melody or tune or piece of music, or this is orchestral. I don’t know what this is for. Put this in the “could be a concert piece, could be something,” I don’t know. And then later, when I’m starting new work, I’ll go into these files and see “Well, what did I have?” Sometimes there’s something useful, sometimes there’s not. I still have a dozen pieces I really like over the last three, four years that I don’t know if I’ll ever find a place for them. I’ve got like kind of odd orchestral stuff, I’ve got a piece for like twenty guitars and a chamber orchestra.

http://www.lincolncenter.org/article/podcast-danny-elfman

DannyBiker
    Participant

Thanks, great find !
    Is it me or that podcast player does not work ?

DannyBiker
    Participant

So…anyone managed to listen to the audio ?

sajrocks
    Participant

audio doesn’t work for me either — not on lincoln center’s page and not from their itunes link. thank goodness for the transcript!

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Did you try clicking the download button?

Screen-Shot-2019-01-23-at-5-11-11-PM

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yes I did, but I’m a getting a 404. I’ll tweet them…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.