Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Chris Young speaks SM2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Fron Scoremagacine’s interview with Chris Young:

SM: The other one is “Spiderman 2”, where your style is clearly evident in the Dr. Octopus´s creation scene, with a theme that reminds us of “Hellraiser II” which, as far as we know, was there as temp track. Any comments about your experience in this movie?

CY: My experience on this movie was absolutely fabulous, of course! I got “Spiderman 3” (laughs). I am so lucky that Danny had a falling out with Sam Raimi!. His disaster turned into my gift! His hell, my heaven!. So yes, indeed, I was brought in because Sam loves the “Hellbound” score and they put that in the Dr. Octopus´s and he says: “Chris, listen to this! Get it made. That’s what I want. Danny won´t do it. You wrote it, you do it!”. And I said: “Sure, great!”. (laughs) So I imitated that and he was extremely happy. You know, you have to do these things, right?.

http://scoremagacine.com/Entrevistas_eng_det.php?Codigo=31

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

He sounds like a bit of an arrogant douchebag there, doesn’t he?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Wow, it sounds like Young will have no reservations in aping a temp track for Spider-Man 3.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

That fucking infuriates me.

Thor
    Participant

Spider-Fan Wrote:

> He sounds like a bit of an arrogant douchebag
    > there, doesn’t he?

Not necessarily. He could have said it with a wink in his eye and a slight sense of irony. Hard to tell.

gaba
    Participant

I agree that it’s hard to tell, from a dry, written text. I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. If he doesn’t have a problem with a commission that’s based on plagiarism (or self-plagiarism), and is happy to have the job, good for him. *shrug* It’s not like he blasts Elfman, although it might be a bit ironic towards him (as if not agreeing to plagiarise equals being a fussy primadonna-of-a-composer. Which is not true.)

It’s always true, though, that in any professional world others will take up the tasks you wouldn’t touch with a sharpened end of a long stick, wearing gloves. It’s just the way professional life is, I guess – there is always someone who’ll do something you wouldn’t (especially in Hollywood ;-)).

Having said all that, I’m glad Elfman tries to maintain a certain professional level, as any composer this accomplished should – if more people measured up to that, maybe some of the problems plaguing the music business would be less acute – like, you can’t just call somebody up to copy something note for note. Well, not for a movie… car commercials are a different business…er… I guess. ;-]

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Not necessarily. He could have said it with a wink in his eye and a slight sense of irony. Hard to tell.

Or maybe he didn’t say anything at all.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

We’re rapidly entering a film-music world full of 100% temp track copies, and even the composers don’t care. How exciting! Why can’t more composers be like Elfman?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.