Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Corpse Bride – absolutely BEAUTIFUL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    corsito
    Participant

This is one of the best score ever written by Danny, and this is my opinion BEFORE even watching the film…I listened to this CD 4 times as yet, and i like it MORE AND MORE after next ‘session’ with this masterpiece. Thank you Danny for such a beautiful and outstanding music. You are the best !!

BLD379
    Participant

I completely agree!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

“Moon Dance” brings back the majesty he achieved with “Ice Dance” 15 years back. The score is completely gorgeous. Now I still have to wait until the weekend to see the movie!

Monsters R us
    Participant

I’m not saying ANYthing…

elfmanguy
    Participant

I also loved MOON DANCE! I just saw the movie for the second time today! And Monsters R us has got to stop hating! Lot of that from him lately!

Danny Burton
    Participant

You know what? I was a little bit disappointed with the score after my first listen, but Danny Elfman has this quality I’ve yet to find in any composer and because of it is why he is my favorite: He works in layers.

There is SO much stuff to dig in this score it’s ridiculous. With every listen I dig deeper and deeper and find so much thematic and melodic material. The exact same thing happened to me with his POTA score, I hated it at first and now it’s one of my favorites of his.

With that said, the Finale is just magnificent.

Monsters R us
    Participant

Actually I’ve heard videogames use major layering when they wanna expand a score – they just strip down the main music to where it’s only the beat in some parts, or just the flutes in other parts, but the rhythm is the same, and it’s still the same song…I don’t know if it’s considered great to layer stuff, so as long as you dont make the music one gigantic layer…Kinda like what MIB 2 was…

I like his more mature works, myself…this music just comes off as “kiddie” to me…much like Charlie

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

You’re right. It’s not good to layer things. He aught to just piano-solo over the films.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I love the Moon Dance, too. The voices are very old school — if you forgive the nomenclature — in that it sounds like vintage, Disney, 40s choir — very harmonious and beautiful stuff, there.

(The quotation from Gone with the Wind was really cute, too, although, that didn’t get on the album.)

Dawg Man
    Participant

Monsters R Us Said

Actually I’ve heard videogames use major layering when they wanna expand a score – they just strip down the main music to where it’s only the beat in some parts, or just the flutes in other parts, but the rhythm is the same, and it’s still the same song…I don’t know if it’s considered great to layer stuff, so as long as you dont make the music one gigantic layer…Kinda like what MIB 2 was…

I like his more mature works, myself…this music just comes off as “kiddie” to me…much like Charlie

Well, maybe that’s because, like Charlie, it’s a kid’s movie…

*crickets chirping*

Monsters R us
    Participant

I don’t get the crickets part, but thanks for agreeing.

Dawg Man
    Participant

Come on man,

I’m not going to criticize a kid’s movie for being too “kiddie”. Elfman got the tone absolutely right. The music fits the movie like a glove. Sure, I’ll submit that the songs weren’t as cool as those in Nightmare Before Christmas, but the structure and the nostalgic timbre of the score it’s self (which harkened back his work in the early nineties) overshadows that ten-fold.

I found it great to hear him lose the synthy electronic sounds of his recent efforts and return to a fully orchestral treatment again with a CLEAR, recognizeable theme (like Batman, Beetlejuice, Black Beauty, you name it…).

dorkman555
    Participant

Hate to ruin the mood, but I tend to think of this score as a Sleepy Hollow part Two. The songs, little as I like saying this, have a touch of the broadway element to them. I’ll be seeing the movie soon. Hope it’s good (although I’m not expecting Nightmare quality).

Monsters R us
    Participant

damn the one thing i found to be inventive about the guy, and all of a sudden it sucks – his synth use. His choral use should be next to go…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Nobody can work with the chorus better than Danny Elfman. The most recent example, “Moon Dance,” is testament to that.

Danny Burton
    Participant

Monsters, you hate Elfman’s choral use?

I’m not trying to be catty, but I just want to know if you even like Elfman’s music.

Qjimbo
    Participant

Moon Dance is wonderful, and The Finale in my opinion is better than the established Grand Finale from Edward Scissorhands. This score is brilliantly and complexly structured, which is probably why it takes several listens before you appriciate it (as with a lot of film scores in general). Better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in my opinion :)

Spider-Fan
    Participant

As with “Charlie,” they cut off the finale in “Corpse Bride.” What’s up with that?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.