Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion CSO Tribute to Danny Elfman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just read this story on SoundtrackNet:

The Colorado Symphony Orchestra (CSO) will premiere award-winning composer Harry Gregson-Williams’ “Grand Orchestral Suite” from the critically acclaimed The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe orchestrated and conducted by Gregson-Williams, Friday, May 18, 2007 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 2:30 p.m. at Boettcher Concert Hall in Denver. Gregson-Williams received Grammy and Golden Globe Award nominations for his original score to The Chronicles of Narnia, which was directed by Andrew Adamson. The concert will include images from the blockbuster movie.

Gregson-Williams’ impressive body of work includes more than 40 film scores, displaying his range and versatility through a wide variety of genres. He most recently wrote the music for the highly anticipated animated film Shrek The Third, being released nationwide on May 18. His other credits include Ridley Scott’s epic Kingdom of Heaven, Shrek and Shrek 2, Tony Scott’s Man on Fire, Spy Game, Enemy of the State, Domino and Déjà vu, and the upcoming Gone, Baby, Gone which marks Ben Affleck’s directorial debut. Gregson-Williams will also be composing the music for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, being released in 2008.

The CSO performance features The Choir from Cherry Hills Community Church and images from the film presented along with the music. Audiences will also enjoy costumes from the film on display in the lobby of Boettcher Concert Hall. The first half of the program includes more music from award-winning movies, plus a salute to the film music of Danny Elfman, including Batman, Edward Scissorhands, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – and more!

“The CSO is honored to have been chosen to premiere this piece,” CSO Executive Vice President Gene Sobczak said. “A composer with such world-renowned praise bringing his newest masterpiece to the Colorado Symphony is a big feather in Denver’s cap. This opportunity strengthens the idea that the CSO continues to emerge as one of the top orchestras in the country.”

Neat! Anyone live in Colorado? Or, anyone ever heard of the Colorado Symphony Orchestra?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Someone from the CSO actually contacted me months ago looking for scores.

Ryan

boingomusic
    Participant

Wow. Isn’t it the first time ever, that a big orchestra with a choir will actually play Elfman music live?

I really hope this kind of things will happen more and more in the future!

-Eric

polarbrrr13
    Participant

I’m hoping the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra will do a few Elfman pieces. I saw them early last year and while they were still working out a few kinks, it was an incresible night. They do nothing but film music and had an impressive selection, including John William’s Memoirs of a Geisha score. They even capped off the evening by performing the score to Antony and Cleopatra live along to parts of the film with actors (including Basil Expedition) reading bits of dialogue. If you live in the LA area, I highly recommend checking them out.

http://www.hsos.org

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Don’t you remember Serenada Schizophrana?

Lucius
    Participant

I live in LA and have heard the HSO play MANY times at the Hollywood Bowl. Probably the BEST place to see a concert in the world! I had press passes to see Elfman’s ‘Overeager Overture’ on the final night. As you could image, I was extreme looking forward to seeing and full orchestra play some Elfman music; and free tickets to boot! I could barely contain the excitement. For weeks I would taunt Ryan..teasing him that I would get to see the show and he wouldn’t. Na nah na na nah. He would call me a bastard, and then laugh…but i knew he meant it.

The previous week, I saw John Williams perform and amazing concert at 8pm the particular evening. I had the same press seats and knew that the Elfman concert was gonna be so much better following week.

The day arrived, and I started to prepare. I got a LOT of cheap wine from the store (Gimme a break, it WAS an outdoor concert, I had to act a little classy. This concert was too posh for tequila.) I had my friend pick me up at 7:15 and we would walk to the Bowl. We got there at 7:45, perfect timing cause I knew we had enough time to find our kick ass seats near the front, chug down a few glasses of vino before the concert began, and then sit back and enjoy. I went to Will Call to pick up the tickets and they weren’t there. After numerous expletives, I discovered my tickets were being held in an office up this big hill. Having walked quite a ways with a barrel of wine over my shoulder get to get where I was, I wasn’t too keen on trudging up a large hill on top of the mountain…but I knew it would be worth it.

After finally getting my tickets and programs I make a ghastly discovery. You see the William’s concert the previous week was at 8:00…but this concert started at 7:00!!!! I had already missed Danny performance. I had everything else planned to the tee, but I forgot to double check when the concert started. I just ASSumed that this concert would start the same time as the last one. What a MAROON! Not to mention that I had to walk down that hill and all the way back home, sober and still carrying the 40 barrels of wine I brought.

Needless to say I went home and killed myself. And in accordance to my last will and testament I requested that this blog be posted on this website regarding the previous post under this exact forum topic on this exact date and time.

The moral of this story……never F#@K with Ryan Keaveney! He will put a curse on you so bad you’ll miss a concert and kill yourself. You all to DO NOT realize the power he wields.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

And that concludes the lesson for today!

Ryan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.