Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny Elfman in ‘KICK-ASS’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

According to this, the new film KICK ASS features one cue by Danny Elfman, “Walk to Rasul’s” (Courtesy of Morte Pharmaceutical [BMI]). I have no idea what score this cue is from, and there is a character called “Rasul” in KICK-ASS, so I am just going to say this is an original cue.

Speaking of last minute gigs, Danny wrote the theme for a movie starring and written by his niece:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1558249/

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

His cue is not on the soundtrack album, but he is credited in the film’s end credits.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I believe Mali Elfman is Danny’s daughter.

So, if its original music then why isn’t it on the damn soundtrack? Even his one track on “Nacho Libre” made it to the soundtrack.

You’re right. My mistake.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Danny is not the film’s credited composer. That is John Murphy, Ilan Eshkeri, Henry Jackman and Marius Devries.

Yet even Ennio Morricone makes it to the soundtrack. :(

“Walk to Rasul’s”

Damn it. I knew I should have checked this thread before watching the movie. I remember that scene, but not the music. I would have payed closer attention if I knew that was the scene with Elfman music. Although I gotta say that the movie had a lot of temp music, so I don’t think Elfman composed anything specific for this film. They probably just lifted it from another movie.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Very strange. They don’t usually rename cues when they are temped in from other films and actually make the final cut. I’m seeing KA tonight so I’ll know for sure.

Lucius
    Participant

It’s a totally original cue. Very subtle, but really good. You can totally hear some of his samples in it. I’m curious to find out the story on how that happened. And yes, Kick Ass totally lives up to it’s name. I can’t wait to see it again.

Lucius

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Oh that means I’ll hate the movie.

Lucius
    Participant

Whhhhy you! Actually I think even YOU will like it, Ryan. We’ll discuss after you see it.

Lucius

Very strange. They don’t usually rename cues when they are temped in from other films and actually make the final cut. I’m seeing KA tonight so I’ll know for sure.

Yeah, I’m most likely incorrect. Plus, if it had been temp music I would have noticed.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

It was definitely an original piece. Perhaps when the score gets it’s release later this Spring, it’ll be included.

How much original music does the film have? I heard mostly temp tracks from “28 Days Later,” “Sunshine,” and of course, Ennio Morricone’s score to “For a Few Dollars More.” The rest was just songs like Joan Jett’s “Bad Reputation.” The movie lists four composers but the score doesn’t show that.

Torque
    Participant

I believe score out April 26 via itunes. Hope Danny’s stuff will be there.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Check it out – the score is available on Amazon UK so far, including Elfman’s contribution:

direct link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MP57EE/ref=dm_dp_trk13/278-4809542-0542519

I still wonder how Elfman got himself involved.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Wow, I finally know how the folks overseas feel when they’re denied an American release of… well, anything. That score album’s pretty good, actually. I remember being very impressed with the score when I was watching the film.

Thor
    Participant

Damn, why is the Elfman track not available on the soundtrack from iTunes??

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Thor are you talking about the score or the soundtrack?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Youtube:

“Kick Ass Score Track 13 Walk To Rasul’s”

:)

Thor
    Participant

I can’t even find the score album on iTunes. Only two songtracks and an EP thingie. No score, no Elfman.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.