Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny Elfman superhero scores !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lonzoe
    Participant

I was just curious how you guys would rank Elfman’s superhero scores (Batman , Batman Returns, Dick Tracy, Darkman, The Flash, Men in Black I, and II, Spider-man I and 2, and Hulk.) from greatest to least.

gaba
    Participant

I’d be on the fence as to which of the Batman scores to put on the very top, but I guess it’d have to be the sequel – I think it’s hard to beat the ‘thematic content’ of it, absolutely gorgeous. “Selina Transforms” (the second part) is one of my favourite Elfman cues, ever.
    Yet another doubt – I ‘m not sure, personally, if Men In Black is a superhero flick. Is it?

What else… I think the Hulk score is wonderful, in how different it is – the otherworldly sound of it, and the energy.
    I haven’t gotten into the Spiderman scores as of yet, but then again I was never a humongous fan of the movies. (wrong time, I guess)

So for me the list looks thusly:
    1. Batman Returns
    2. Batman
    3. Hulk
    4. Darkman (I only JUST got the CD! It’s really growing on me . My first impressions weren’t ecstatic – something along the lines of: “oh… ‘early’ Elfman with lots of Batman quotes. eh…” but *wrong!* Sure, lots of signature phrases are there, but I’m getting a whole new feel from it – it’s much more raw and powerful. I just love the main motiv/theme, those four repeated notes and the answer to them in the lower register (I might be wrong, but they are *kinda* lifted from “Alecander Nevsky”, ‘battle on ice’ in particular. Incidentally, I always thought James Horner borrowed this Prokofiev theme in about every SECOND film he ever scored. ;-) Remember his Klingon theme in Starterk III? These are the four notes I’m talking about. ;-))
    I doth ramble. Sorry.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

The Prokofiev motif is a very popular one in film music, many composers borrowed it through the decades…

gaba
    Participant

I bet they did – it’s one hell of a motif: concise and memorable. :-] I just have the earliet recollection of it in multiple Horner works.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I think Batman Returns is the best superhero score from any composer, mainly because it doesn’t SOUND much like a superhero score – it’s a lot more emotional than the standard bombastic music you hear in these kinds of movies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.