Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny removes his name from “Nacho Libre”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    SB.com
    Participant

Steve Bartek has confirmed that Danny Elfman has taken his name off of “Nacho Libre.” Apparently the studio decided to nix a few main cues they spent a lot of time on, and replaced them with music Danny didn’t want to be associated with. Consequently, Elfman has withdrawn his name from the credits, though much of his score will still be intact in the film.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Oh, for the love of…

gaba
    Participant

Is that for real? Damn.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I figured this would be a fun project for him, and now a studio’s gone and pissed him off again! Dammit! I wonder if Jared Hess had anything to do with it? Oh well. I guess I wasn’t expecting too much based on the AICN review, as I prefer the more modern/massively orchestral Elfman to the old school Elfman.

KWashi
    Participant

Jared kept quoting “Napoleon Dynamite” when he was around Danny. That’s why.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I would think that the prints for NACHO LIBRE have already been struck, so if this is true, it’s likely that Elfman’s name will still remain on the film.

Ryan

Danny_Trejo
    Participant

Where did you get this info¿

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Steve Bartek’s website – the discussion board.

Also see: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23575

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

With word on NACHO, I emailed Richard Kraft, Danny’s agent to ask whether the news was true and if he could shed some light on the subject. He replied with:

“Ryan,

Danny Elfman has not removed his name from NACHO LIBRE. He elected not to take a “Music by” credit.

Danny Elfman was brought in to do a replacement score on for the film. The final mix of the movie includes about 2/3rds of the score Elfman composed with the other third comprised of music retained from the first score (composed by Beck) as well as other music. For this reason, Elfman chose not to take a “Music by” credit on the film or advertisements. Instead, he decided to take credit for the cues he composed in the End Titles to properly identify his contributions to the final film.”

Ryan

gaba
    Participant

Okay this makes much more sense. Hm. Still… we just want more, don’t we. Every cut cue is a regret for this here fan, obviously.

I was watching Nacho Libre on Cartoon Network tonight. So, obviously this is on my mind. Has Elfman’s entire score ever been leaked? I’m curious to hear it. Rameses Suite was good old school Elfman. But I think that’s the only cue they kept.

Nick Parker
    Participant

I was tempted to watch it because of Danny Elfman’s supposed involvement with the film (remember, I was not around to know all of this information), but after realizing how much I hated Napolean Dynamite, I decided not to.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I’ve searched hi and low but to no prevail. I did find a recording of “Hombre Religioso” with he new choir arrangements that Elfman did though – it’s quite beautiful. I would love to get this entire score… Hello…. La La Land Records?!?!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I too watched a bit of the movie on CN, and right at the point of my favorite Elfman cue, “Super Nacho”, when Nacho is putting on his luchador costume for the first time.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Being a big fan of both Elfman and Beck, it would be interesting to hear the rejected Beck score. I wonder why most of it was rejected?

johnmullin
    Participant

A lot of the Beck score is still in the movie.

I think the freakout happened at the studio level, and Elfman was brought in. Much of Elfman’s MX wasn’t used in favor of Beck’s music and temp score (Andrew Gross’s 8 HEADS IN A DUFFLEBAG in a few key scenes).

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I think the Rameses material was substantially different in the film than the suite on the OST. Danny wrote almost 50 minutes of music for the film too.

Bad Octopus
    Participant

KWashi Wrote:

> Jared kept quoting “Napoleon Dynamite” when he was
    > around Danny. That’s why.

AMEN. That would be enough for me to call the whole thing off.

Is this the first time so much of Elfman’s music hasn’t seen the light of day. Even Little Demons was leaked!

The ONLY good decision made was using Religious Man (I am I am) by Mr Loco as the main theme. That song fit the movie PERFECTLY. But everything else should have been Elfman’s score. Rameses Suite is indication enough that Elfman wrote some classic Pee Wee-esque music for this movie.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Lucius
    Participant

Looks like a cover made for a bootleg. Curious how they got the track names, unless they made them up, or had to hunt through the long list of song credits at the end of the movie. (Prolly both) I sure would love to hear the whole thing. I hear all of Elfman’s work was excellent.

Lucius

Bootleg, huh? Someone better track it down.

Monsterhead
    Participant

If you look at that blog – it is comprised entirely of non-existent, fan made soundtrack cover art. I saw that same artwork a long time ago and searched for the bootleg. It does not exist anywhere. Still, I’d love to be proven wrong….

It still surprises me that Danny’s music has never been leaked.

Monsterhead
    Participant

Well, after years of searching – it looks like the Promo Score for NACHO LIBRE has leaked. I’ve got it now, and it is quite nice. Much more quiet than I expected. There are some truly beautiful passages in this 46 minute promo, nicely balanced by the Ramses theme hear and there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.