Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Danny's Hollywood In Vienna 2017 !!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    boingomusic
    Participant

Danny will receive the Max Steiner award at this year’s Hollywood In Vienna. This means he will attend the Gala concert, which will include a long tribute to his music. According to the website, he will also come on stage and sing.

This is very exciting news, since it will be the first Elfman concert including non-burton film scores. I was in Lucerne when The Hollywood In Vienna representant approached Danny and Laura Engel. He explained that his interest was to organize a concert that would include new suites from his scores, Burton and non-Burton movies.
    Laura had explained that he was busy touring his Burton/Elfman, and he couldn’t do this right now.

I didn’t expect this to happen so quickly 😀

http://hollywoodinvienna.com

ddddeeee
    Participant

These are the ones which are always recorded and uploaded, right? Very exciting news.

boingomusic
    Participant

Yes, exactly. They broadcast it on TV and radio, and it’s also on YouTube in HD.

I just read the informations on their website. They only mention Burton films and the Simpsons.
    So, maybe that’s the reason why it happened so quickly. They might have given up on the other non-burton soundtrack suites…
    edit : I just emailed them to have more informations.

boingomusic
    Participant

I just got an email back from Hollywood In Vienna confirming they plan to perform non-burton scores as well.

ddddeeee
    Participant

Terrific. On top of the more obvious choices (they’ll surely play Spider-Man, for example) I’d love to hear something like Nightbreed or Hellboy II.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Wow – the concert sounds great. The fact that it will be recorded is even better. It means I won’t have to travel to Vienna to see it! πŸ˜‰

http://hollywoodinvienna.com/en/programme/hollywood-in-vienna-2017

boingomusic
    Participant

Got my tickets for the Gala Concert πŸ˜‰

Thor
    Participant

I’ve now booked my trip to Vienna. If everything goes as planned, I will also get the opportunity to a brief interview with the man himself!

Boingomusic, I see that you are going. Is anyone else? I’m thinking about creating a get-together before one of the concerts.

Thor
    Participant

In other words — would you be interested in joining a get-together, boingomusic?

ddddeeee
    Participant

An interview! That’d be exciting: 90% of Elfman’s interviews are always the same. Fingers crossed.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Please make sure to ask the following:

– The story behind THE SIMPSONS theme
    – How he got to score PEE-WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE
    – Something awkward about his current (real?) rift with Tim Burton
    – When will Oingo Boingo perform again
    – About growing up in Los Angeles, going to watch Sci-fi movies and Bernard Herrmann

We need answers to these questions!

πŸ˜‰

DannyBiker
    Participant

To be completely honest, Elfman is really not the most talkative person out there. I’ve never seen him being really comfortable in interviews and even when the questions were pertinent or out of the “generic pool”, his answers always leaned towards the same old explanations.

That’s perfectly fine though, some artists are really good at talking about what they do; others just do their things and that’s it.

I really wonder how the Batman theme came up to him though…

ddddeeee
    Participant

I like how he refuses to big himself up in any way and says things how they are. John Powell is good for that too.

I always really liked those Daniel Schweiger interviews he used to do quite regularly.

Thor
    Participant

He, he…

IF I get the interview, it will only be, like, 10 minutes (same as I got with Horner in 2013). So I need to ask some 4-5 questions that I can make a radio program out of, that will cover the bases, but perhaps also be a bit untypical. I’m aware of Elfman’s awkwardness in interview situations, and will obviously try to avoid being a “fanboy”. There will be no gushing. Since Richard Kraft knows me a bit personally, I’m hoping to get an easier segueway into the ‘interview atmosphere’.

Oh well, we’ll see.

9fingeredElf
    Participant

Ask about Dumbo.

dr.giggles
    Participant

Haha! Best of luck and enjoy the show!

camillu
    Participant

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I have one ticket for sale for the Thursday 28th September concert. It’s not the Gala concert, but it’s the exact same programme, and Elfman will be there. I’ve attended the past 2 years and the composer was always present for both nights. I also chose my seat based on where they usually place the composer, so you should be a few rows away from him. The seat is Row 8, Seat 12, which is the top range of seats. I purchased it for €125, which is what I’m selling it for.

Let me know if anyone’s interested. I can guarantee that it will be an amazing concert because the standard during the past 2 years was impressive.

Mark

Thor
    Participant

So Mark/Camillu — would you like to attend the get-together too?

camillu
    Participant

Thanks Thor but I’ll be arriving shortly before the concert so won’t have much time.

Thor
    Participant

OK! I’m not sure yet if we’re doing the get-together before the first or second concert. I’ll be in Vienna both nights, but I’ll only attend one of them (not yet confirmed which). I could easily host the get-together before a concert I’m NOT attending. Just to let you know.

boingomusic
    Participant

Hi !

I’m sorry it took me so long to answer !!!

I’m going to the Gala Ceremony on friday the 29th.

It would be a pleasure to meet anyone from this board !

Thor
    Participant

Great, boingomusic! I’ll put you on the list, and get back to you with details. πŸ™‚

Thor
    Participant

THE DANNY ELFMAN IN VIENNA GET-TOGETHER THREAD

Place: Gmoakeller (right next to the concert hall)

Where it is: http://tinyurl.com/qy23v4l

Information about the restaurant: http://www.gmoakeller.at/

Time: Thursday, September 28th, 16:00/4PM – 19:00/7PM. I’ll be there some minutes before to make sure everything’s OK. The concert begins 19:30/7:30PM

Participants:

Thor
    Eirik (from Maintitles.net)
    John Rokesmith
    Kim
    Svein Jarle
    Boingomusic (from MFADP)

boingomusic
    Participant

Hi Thor,

Thank you so much for organizing this.
    I’m traveling with my father and I don’t know if i can manage to join you all at Gmoakeller.
    I will definitely do my best.
    Hope to see you there.

Eric

boingomusic
    Participant

Man!!! I’m at Gmoakeller. I waited a little bit before realizing that the gathering was yesterday!!! Sorry I missed it.

Going to the concert tonight.

I hope you guys had fun !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.