Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Del Toro, Elfman and Mignola – Haunted Hotel Story

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    se7endeadly
    Participant

from an interview with Del Toro at Buzzine.com
    (http://www.buzzine.com/2008/07/guillermo-del-toro/)

EI: What’s this story about a haunted hotel?

GDT: When Mike [Mignola] came to London to listen to the score sessions, the last day he was there, we rented a room in a haunted hotel with Danny Elfman, and the three of us went there. We each spent 30 minutes alone in the room with the lights out, waiting for the strangling ghost to come out of the darkness, and we had a blast and then we drank enough port to forget about any ghost that was there.

EI: Did you see the ghost?

GDT: No, but I’ll tell you what happened. We were setting the rules, the three of us. We said you can’t fuck with the guy that’s left alone. You can’t come back and knock or scratch the door. You have to let the guy have 30 minutes alone, and at that moment we hear “Ooooooooo” and it was Danny Elfman’s fucking ringtone on the iPhone, but we crapped our pants. For that brief moment, we went, “Oh, my fucking God!” Then we realized it was this moronic fucking ringtone. But nothing else. It turns out that I read the fucking Internet information wrong. They said it was room 333 at the Langham Hotel. It turns out that I read it wrong because it said there are many ghosts in the Langham and I said, “We are in the room where a noble man committed suicide because of the love of his woman.” We thought that was a great ghost. It turns out I read the wrong information. The suicidal guy was in a corridor in another room on another floor. The guy that died in 333 was a doctor that strangled his wife and then committed suicide. The last time he was seen was in 1971/1972 by a BBC commentator, of all people, and the guy came out of the darkness glowing green and went straight for the throat of the guy. So I’m very happy that we didn’t see him, but it was foolish of us to try.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Oh, God. I’m so envious. Why can’t I hang and get drunk with Danny in a haunted hotel? It’s just not FAIR, I tell you! Not fair!

Pretty comical story, though. Made me “LOL”! Thanks for sharing! :)

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Great story! For a second there I thought they’d be collaborating on a movie called HAUNTED HOTEL STORY. HAHA

Danny Burton
    Participant

Doesn’t sound like a director who is allegedly not happy with his music.

Pheeew.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

That was a unconfirmed rumor, but John Mullin saw the film and said it’s all there more or less.

johnmullin
    Participant

Yes indeed. In the film, track 03 “Training” and track 05 “Hallway Cruise” are absent (although it’s clear which scenes they were written for), but most of what’s on the CD is in the film in fine form. There are also, of course, a number of nifty cues that did not make the album. There’s a neat jazzy cue that plays twice when HB and the gang are getting ready to go out and take care of business. There are also some big ass statements of the ‘Hellboy motif” that make the film a little more identifiable.

Overall, I like the score much more after seeing the picture than I did beforehand. The Last Elemental cue is gorgeous up against the picture, and some of the film’s other “soft” cues really work wonderfully too. The “Golden Army” scherzo (which appears in the main title, and then again in track 19, “In The Army Chamber” is really bad-ass in the film.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Any presence of additional or temp music ?

johnmullin
    Participant

No, no temp music. I’ve heard that there were a few “additional cues” written by other people (under Elfman’s supervision) due to the fact that there was a ton of music to write in a short amount of time, but nothing stuck out.

The one part that I suspect might not have been Elfman, though, is the cue that plays under the flight with the plant monster (aka “The Elemental”), which is heard, in the film, right before the gorgeous cue “The Last Elemental.” It’s a very sound effects heavy sequence, and those seem to be the ones that DE farms out to other composers on the few occasions he’s had to do it, due to the fact that the music can usually barely be heard in the mix anyway!

Danny Burton
    Participant

john, does the ethnic music at the end of “Finale” plays during the credits?

johnmullin
    Participant

No, it’s source music from the Troll Market scene.

The end credits start with a song, and then transition into an edited suite of cues from elsewhere in the film.

lonzoe
    Participant

johnmullin Wrote:

> No, no temp music. I’ve heard that there were a
    > few “additional cues” written by other people
    > (under Elfman’s supervision) due to the fact that
    > there was a ton of music to write in a short
    > amount of time, but nothing stuck out.
    >
    > The one part that I suspect might not have been
    > Elfman, though, is the cue that plays under the
    > flight with the plant monster (aka “The
    > Elemental”), which is heard, in the film, right
    > before the gorgeous cue “The Last Elemental.”
    > It’s a very sound effects heavy sequence, and
    > those seem to be the ones that DE farms out to
    > other composers on the few occasions he’s had to
    > do it, due to the fact that the music can usually
    > barely be heard in the mix anyway!

Funny I didn’t see any additional music in the credits. So thats definitely a rumor because Elfman always give credit to people who write additional stuff.

johnmullin
    Participant

Yeah, that’s what I thought too since Elfman’s gone out of his way to credit his additionals in the past. Nevertheless that’s what the guy I talked to claims, and he usually knows what he’s talking about on these matters.

Something I _do_ know to be true, however, is that Elfman has hired people to write additional cues in some situations but then those cues ultimately didn’t wind up in the film, and those composers accordingly were not given any kind of acknowledgment in the credits. I know this happened in HULK, for example… but don’t know why those additional cues didn’t make the final mix.

Maybe something similar could be what happened on HBII?

jumby007
    Participant

This matches exactly what I heard too, John. And I can’t blame him, because in a few sequences, i couldn’t even hear the music.

sajrocks
    Participant

The CD liner notes note that additional music on the track “Doorway” was written by Halli “Cauthry”. I think they mean Cauthrey as in David Harald Cauthery, the violinist and perhaps most prolific “additional music” composer of the last three years, if his IMDB page is accurate.

saj

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.