Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Donny on the Spiderman 2 DVD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

So, I was at my favorite video store in Hollywood and they had copies of Spiderman 2 for rent a week early. Needless to say, I swiped that bad boy up and threw the second disc in my DVD player. There is a great 2 hour documentory on the making of the film, divided into chapters. The sound and MUSIC doc was pretty good. There is a nice interview with Elfman, and he seems to be in a good mood. He talks a little about the process of preparing a sequel score. There is also a lot of footage of the orchestra playing the score. You get to see the HUGE brass section playing Doc Ock’s theme during the ‘Saving May’ track. It was a pleasure to see.

All in all, it’s a great disc for a great movie.

Lucius

Anonymous

I know, I know, I put Donny in the subject instead of Danny. I deserve to be shot!!!!!

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

How DARE you!!!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Shoot you? I want to thank you! I was worried about whether or not Danny would be on the DVD and now that I know he is, I am very happy. Especially since they show the orchestra playing “The Bank/Saving May,” that’s my favorite track! I can’t wait until Tuesday! Where are you that it came in a week early?

Anonymous

I live in Hollywood. The there is a certain videostore that I frequent often that steets stuff early. I would mention the name of it, but I want them to keep doing it. All the videostore get the DVD’s at least a week early so they can prepare them for the shelves. But, my store says f@#k the rules and throws it out for rent and for sale.

If you live in Hollywood and want to know the name of the place, e-mail me and I’ll tell ya.

Lucius

Danny Burton
    Participant

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I could shoot someone right now. Be it Sam Raimi or whomever was in charge of all the re-scoring. I’ll get to why in a minute.

I got an early copy of the DVD too and went right to the “Sound and Music” featurette. It lasts about 16 minutes, and about 6 and a half are dedicated to Elfman and the score.

Well, ironically, Danny’s section starts with guess what? A scoring session during which they are playing the original music for one of the re-scored scenes. That scene is when Peter is taking MJ’s and and the astronaut’s picture as they are coming down the stairs [awfully re-scored with “Main Titles”] and then with him swinging with the camera right on his face [re-scored with the choral part of “Parade Attack”]. The music during the swinging part is absolutely GORGEOUS. A very gentle and beautiful statement of the Spider-Man theme. I really hope one of you guys makes an mp3 out of that part because it’s worth it. It lasts like 15-20 seconds.

There’s another part of the scoring session where they are playing the scene when Peter is dumping the suit. The music is very similar to the part that was used in the film [The last moments of “Final Confrontation”]. I really don’t see why they felt the need to use the older stuff there.

Oh well. The movie looks and sounds spectacular. You’ll get chills when you get to the “He’s Back!” scene where they pumped that choir LOUD and it sounds amazing.

Danny Burton
    Participant

I’ve been watching more of the extras and they are so great it’s not even funny. Quite possibly the best making-of documentary I’ve ever seen put together for a DVD.

There’s a great part called “Spider-Cam” and to my delight, the original music I talked about in my previous post that was supposed to play during the close-up swinging scene was used to introduce this feature. Fascinating stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.