Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Dream Elfman Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ooshmaster
    Participant

This topic has come up in the past, I thought maybe it shouled be brought up again. So anyway. What is your dream Elfman project? It could be a Burton collaboration, but doesnt have to be.

For a Burton/Elfman project, I think that Tim Burton should do an adaptation of the thrilling Richard Connell story The Most Dangerous Game.

For a non-Burton project, I think It’d be awesome of they made a movie based on the pirate-themed Monkey Island adventure games from Lucasarts. The music for the games, written by Michael Land, was awesome. If they worked together on a movie version, there’s no telling how good it could get. Plus, I don’t think Elfman has really explored that genre yet.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I think some Corpse Bride’s design and artwork look very similar to Monkey Island videogames; and that’s a good thing…:)

I don’t have any “dream project” but I’d like to see him work with directors I like such as Scorsese, Stone, Polanski, Gilliam or compose again for a Van Sant or DePalma movie.
    There are also genres I’d like him to taste. I’m thinking of western (wasn’t he supposed to score The Quick & the Dead ?) or thriller. And superheroes, he never did that…

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’d like to see him score “Spider-Man 3.” I still weep at his departure. As for new projects, I’d love to see him return to the hardcore action genre after his next two scheduled movies for 2006. He’s said before that he doesn’t like scoring action, but I think its where his best comes out. I would have been interested if John Williams decided not to score “War of the Worlds” and Danny Elfman stepped in. There would have been huge potential there, possibly as a counter-score to “Mars Attacks!” and “Men in Black.” It would also be nice to hear something like “Fable,” which felt like an interesting new style for him.

Danny Burton
    Participant

A Pixar film!

boingomusic
    Participant

Well. I have one dream project for Elfman & Burton.
    I really wish Burton could adapt the short E.T.A. Hoffman story called :

“The Sand Man”.

It’s a very dark romantic and twisted german tale. The story of a boy who sees his dad being killed in front of his eyes by a guy named Coppola who steals his eyes. Years later, this boy meets a techer called Coppelius. This teacher has a daughter called Olympia, and the boy falls in love with her. Days pass, and the boy finally understands that Coppelius’ daughter is actually a doll, and the reason this girl looks so alive and adorable is because she has his father’s eyes…
    Twisted, dark, romantic and soooo burtonish. If you get to read this Hoffman Tale, you’ll automatically have Burton-art in your mind, and elfman-music in your ears…

-Eric

Dawg Man
    Participant
    elfmanguy
    Participant

I agree with Spider fan! Fable was very interesting for him! I loved that theme! Oh also want to hear him score some Sci-Fi! A Star Wars type of score! He hasnt been to space a lot and i think it would be great to hear. I also want to hear him score some Animation! You know normal hand drawn animated movies. Maybe like an anime or something! Some good music comes outta anime!

ooshmaster
    Participant

boingomusic Wrote:

If
    > you get to read this Hoffman Tale, you’ll
    > automatically have Burton-art in your mind, and
    > elfman-music in your ears…
    >
    > -Eric

That’s the same way I felt about The Most Dangerous Game It’s about a hunter who falls off a boat and swims to an island where he meets a russian hunter who hunts humans, and is then put into the role of the prey as he is hunted down. There was a film version in the thirties, and I beleive Max Steiner scored it.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Another BATMAN film.

‘Nuff said.

Ryan

JS
    Participant

I think Tim Burton could direct new version of Alice in Wonderland! With his creative vision, and with unique style of Elfman they could do great job.
    Another Batman film like said Ryan.

sajrocks
    Participant

I’ve been imagining for years Elfman’s and Burton’s take on Katherine Dunn’s “Geek Love”.

Also, Elfman’s collaboration on any adaptation of fellow Los Angeleno Francesca Lia Block. Her trippy, modern fairytale narratives and firm West Coast roots could really inspire.

Lucius
    Participant

Ya know, I gotta tell you…’Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ was my dream project. 5 Years ago when ‘Planet of the Apes’ came out, my friend and I were having a very nerdy conversation. Then he asked me, “If Tim Burton could remake any movie, what would it be?” Of course I said, “Hands down, Willy Wonka with Depp as Wonka and Elfman scoring!” Can I call ’em or what?

Other than that, I too wanna see Birton and Elfman do ‘Geek Love’; such a good book. As well, I’d love to hear Elfman tackle a western. I’m still pissed he didn’t score ‘Wild, Wild, West’. Movie sucked, but his score would have been amazing.

Lucius

docpotato
    Participant

I’d like to see a Burton/Elfman version of something like Fantasia or Koyaanisqatsi. Non-narrative pictures and audio. Something super funky again, like Forbidden Zone or Freeway, would be nice too.

Dawg Man
    Participant

The Dark Tower is a Twilight Zone-like, fantasy “Western”, which is why I want to see him do that.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I second something of Terry Gilliam direction and a good twisted Pixar movie. He’s doing a 3d animation now that should be interesting, I think.

A Fantasia like project with Elfman music would bring me to tears.

elfmanguy
    Participant

I also still believe they should forget that horrible Haunted Mansion movie ever exisisted, have Tim Burton make it, possibly as a stop motion animated movie, and have Danny score it! Hell, its looking like Corpse Bride may be that movie in a way!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I’m pretty sure they used “Edward Scissorhands” as a temp score for the atrocious “Haunted Mansion.” Another thought crossed my mind as to fantasy scores, and the preciously mentioned collaboration with Terry Gilliam. If Danny scored “Brothers Grimm,” I think it would probably sound like Fable with some Sleepy Hollow mixed in.

PHIL
    Participant

Personally, I would love to see the two collaborate on Sandman Mystery Theatre

chocothrax
    Participant

The upcoming film about American Mcgees Alice video game. It’s going to have some crappy director and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Alice…. :( Imagine if Tim Directed with like Christina Ricci as Alice in a disturbing wacky version of the tale with Elfman doing the score… Sigh.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Wasn’t Wes Craven supposed to direct that adaptation ?

chocothrax
    Participant

I think it’s the guy that did that newest Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie…

Kipobe
    Participant

Another Bats film would be great, but I could live with him not doing one.

— DEFINATELY Spider-Man 3. He MUST complete the trilogy.

— X-Men 3… of course, that ain’t gonna happen.

— If they made a “Glass Elevator” movie with Tim in charge, by all means, I’d expect an Elfman score.

— Prince of Persia movie that’s in the early stages of production… I think he’d do a bang up job considering his use of the occassional Indian/Arabian-type instruments. I could imagine a very powerful score. My back up composer here would be Mychael Danna.

— Someone said a Pixar movie? Well, I had an idea for a “Mario” (Nintendo) movie to be done by Pixar… something to get the awful stench of that original live action crap they tried to do earlier in the 90’s. Pixar + Mario + Elfman = GOLD!

— Speaking of video games, I’d like to see a live-action Zelda. Very complicated casting, and the story would have to be well-developed… but if they focused on Link and made him a truly complex individual, I could see it working… with that, I think this is where Elfman shines: complex characters seem to be his specialty, and I’d love a score using rough cuts of the existing theme… and working with the likes of Koji Kondo to produce a truly epic score that is nothing but 100% Elfman goodness in the center!

There’s others I can’t think of, off hand, but the bottom line is, any movie that centers of characters or complex individuals is where Elfman seems to take it to another level. Any movie that encompasses that, I would DEFINATELY like to hear an Elfman score for!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I don’t own an XBox so I never played Fable, but if they adapted it into a movie and allowed Danny to expand upon the main theme he wrote, I think there would be something very interesting there.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.