Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Dumb Rumor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I don’t believe it, but a friend told me that Danny Elfman doesn’t read music. If it is true, that’s odd and I’ll still be a fan. Otherwise, I need something solid to refute his claims. I’d appreciate some help in the matter.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Elfman on Film Composer Elitism:

“They’re the only ones that will punish you for your lack of schooling and who won’t accept you because you’re self-taught. They just insist that you don’t exist. And, although I taught myself to write notation on paper, I’ll always be perceived by some as a ‘hummer’ – someone who hums the melodies and turns them over to teams of orchestrators who do my work.”

Movieline Magazine –
    November 1993
    by Stephen Rebello

Spider-Fan
    Participant

That’s okay by me, as long as he doesn’t hum his music while walking down the street in the city or something. I saw some “prodigy” composer kid doing that on “60 Minutes” and it was absolutely hysterical. The funniest thing was that all these people were praising him for his ability to compose a piece in a few minutes using Danny-like software, and then they show the ochestra playing it and it’s terrible. It’s like he didn’t bother to make the notes work together, butrather he just threw them together and gets called a genius. Sorry I got a bit sidetracked, but I thought I ought to share it.

FireRaven
    Participant

wait a minute…
    are you saying it hums his music into a mic and software turns it into sheet music for him?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.