Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman, Burton & Co. In Toronto

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sajrocks
    Participant

Snippets from a sit-down with Elfman, Burton, Depp, Carter and Johsnon at the Toronto “Corpse Bride” press junket.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9316852/

saj

Phoe_Elfman
    Participant

woooow! :D
    Danny is so cool!

Spider-Fan
    Participant

NOW he’s getting the attention he deserves!

guitarfreak
    Participant

i agree……

omgosh…..tim is getting a bit chubby dontcha think?

BATMAN
    Participant

Tim is just doing his best Orson impression. And I know Edward was a risk, but Depp has hardly been box office poison since. I knwo everyone likes playing the underdog, but c’mon, after edward, no one had to convince anyone to cast Depp in anything.

admin
    Participant

here’s an interesting dialogue, between elfman and a reporter. It’s about sam raimi and spiderman 2.

SPIDER-MAN COMPOSER NO MORE
    By Devin Faraci

Today the junket for The Corpse Bride junket was held in Toronto, at the Toronto Film Festival. The junket in general was short on news – Tim Burton is taking a break, Helena Bonham Carter has a few things in the hopper and Johnny Depp is still knee-deep in Captain Jack Sparrow (his mouth was full of gold teeth). But Danny Elfman dropped a surprise on me when I asked him whether Sam Raimi had told him which villains for whom to consider themes. He’s not doing Spider-Man 3, he told me. I asked why.

Elfman: Spider-Man 2 was a miserable experience.

Q: Why? Was it too fast or –

Elfman: It’s a complicated thing.

Q: Why was it complicated?

Elfman: My connection to Sam got completely severed. As far as I’m concerned, he went to sleep and somebody put a pod next to him and when he awoke, he wasn’t the same person I’ve known for a decade.

Q: Will you work with him again?

Elfman: No. He went from right there, number 2 on my list of favorite directors, to the last – to the exact opposite of everything I look for in a film experience. Everything I could do on Spider-Man 1 I couldn’t do on Spider-Man 2. He got so intensely attached to the temp music, I couldn’t even adapt my own music. I couldn’t get close enough to me.

It’s the first time I’ve ever walked from a director in twenty years, and hopefully the last time. He became intolerable. I’ve been on some heavy duty films, so to say that it had to be pretty bad. I have been in war zones you wouldn’t believe in 55 films. But this is the first time I’ve said, I’ve had it. It’s just not worth it. I would rather go back to waiting tables than to do Spider-Man 2 again.

Strong words from Elfman. There’s no word yet on who will be scoring the next Spidey film.

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I don’t necessarily agree with that. After “Edward” he sure did show he could act and of course bring in a certain audience, but he was in no way a mainstream actor that could open a picture. Before “Pirates of the Caribbean”, his biggest hit was “Sleepy Hollow” which had been his only 100 Million dollar hit. It wasn’t until “Pirates” where he gained that mainstream superstar success. I don’t think Depp would’ve gotten away with some of his choices in “Chocolate Factory” without the success of “Pirates” and I bet if “Sleepy Hollow” was made after “Pirates” they would’ve let him do his whole Ichabod Crane nose and what not.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.