Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman & Burton falling out?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    capt_hook
    Participant

Hello all!

Does anyone know the reason that Elfman & Burton had trouble around the Ed Wood time? I think Danny talked about it before, but I don’t think that he told why they had problems. Thanks!

Anonymous

I’ll jump in before someone puts a price on your head for bringing up an old subject again: Ryan (the big cheese here) says he knows aaaall about it. I suggest you stalk him until he tells you and then you can tell us! Nope, noone else here has previously managed to find a quote that goes beyond the “they had a tiff and made up” generalisation. My money’s on some kind of sex triste. Danny himself says that armwrestling plays a big part in winning film scoring jobs (maybe Shore got lucky just that once). If you find out, do let us know!!

Blunt

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Elfman said that he was a better composer than Burton, and he freaked out.

Dawg Man
    Participant

Danny wanted more credit for what he did in that movie. I think he wanted a writing credit or something but had to settle for “Executive Producer” (or associate producer — I can’t remember) which caused a bit of resentment between the two men. Danny said it was building up anyway and was bound to happen… but that was over a decade ago and they’re over it.

Anonymous

Ah now I’ve heard that one before too. Maybe from you? Do you remember a specific source for this that we can note as “official” for next time?
    Blunt

Anonymous

i heard danny stole tims ham a cheese toastie so they had a fight

Anonymous

no. actually tim was raging at danny cos danny opened his can of coke without first asking “can i open my can?”

Norbeone
    Participant

i heard egg marshall was responsible for such a violiation of the ownage of that ham and cheese toasty. then again, mickey portillo may have something different to say.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Mmmmmm … Haaaam and Cheeeeeese TOAaastyyy …

Anonymous

Doesn’t everyone agree that these replies make my sex triste suggestion suddenly seem more likely?? I received my copy of Cinefonia yesterday and had spent the evening typing laboriously in French. Damn microsoft and its diacritic keyboard shortcuts. And damn Canon for its crummy bundled OCR software. And damn Cinefonia for its tiny text. I’ll post to the relevant thread when I’m done and electronically-translated. From what I can translate on the fly, this looks like a highly controversial interview with the composer re: the Spider-man 2 incident. does anyone know of an english language interview post-Spidy2?

Blunt

Edward Bloom
    Participant

Blunt :

I was the one who brought up the interview here and I will translate the most interesting parts this week-end if I got time. French is my langage so it’s going to easier this way…;)

Danny Burton
    Participant

Heh, it’s not like I’m pushing you guys, but hurry up! ;)

I can’t wait to read what he has to say about that mess.

Norbeone
    Participant

there are rumours going around that danny didnt kno who owned the ham and cheese toasty. he thought that tim was getting just a cheese toasty so assumed that the ham and cheese variant was not spoken for. of course speculation must not form the evidence of the case but i think we’re getting somewhere. if anyone else finds out anything else, inform the public ASAP.

Anonymous

I’m going to be vague and ellusive on this.

I’ve gotten the answer from a good sorce, but am not going to blurt it because quite frankly, if it was supposed to be common knowledge, it would be out there by now.

What I will say is that if you go back and read/listen to the things that Danny most strongly denies being problems at the time, there were a couple, one of them is it.

I read somewhere that Danny is lactose intollerant. He can’t have cheese on his toasty. Maybe the REAL truth is that Danny couldn’t give up his cheese and the side effect of his condition made it difficult to be in enclosed spaces, like a control booth, with him.

I love these cheeky threads.

Danny Burton
    Participant

LOL!!

You actually had me for a moment.

Anonymous

Sorry to be a bit old news/ behind the times on this thread – I always had a theory that it was to do with the fact that the film that ended up being called “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare before Christmas” was the source of the falling out: because if you look at the credits, it’s actually Danny Elfman’s The Nightmare before Christmas. He writes the lyrics, the music, the underscore, and he sings the lead and a couple of other roles – maybe Tim ended up feeling he was getting sidelined on his own show? So, private theory that Tim got all jealous and Danny got all defensive and there was a little ol’ bust up….

Ri

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.