Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman inspires Finch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Finch is an alt/rock emo/rock band that had a cool album out way back in 2002 called “What It Is To Burn”. They’re recording a new album, and on their website’s FAQ they were asked:

What were some of your inspirations for this album? – Sue, OH

R2K: hmm… we all have a lot of collective influences and I’d feel weird answering for anybody else in finch so I’ll just answer for my self… I have been really influenced by my some of my favorite movies just as much as some of my favorite bands. I’ve spent lots of time watching Edward Scissorhands and Pee Wee’s Big Adventure with my guitar just getting inspiration from the images and the vibe of the movies. I’d say the Burton/Elfman combo is pretty inspirational.

That’s pretty cool…

Ryan

Danny Burton
    Participant

I hate them, but if you google “Evanescence” you’ll find A LOT of articles of them saying they’ve been inspired by Elfman too.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Sorry, but I have absolutely no respect for emo bands. I’m strictly film score. Actually, I get angry when emo people discuss Danny Elfman because they don’t give a damn about his music but rather they love anything with a dark tone. Another reason I’m not a fan of emo is because Dashboard Confessional had the primary song for Spider-Man 2, and that song both took up credits space and was not anything close to what “Hero” was. I have spoken.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

You are strictly film score, right?

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Strictly film score would get extremely boring for me after about a week. I do agree that emo sucks, however.

Nin_Cherry
    Participant

Depends what you call emo. If it’s bands like Evanescence who do this pseudo-gothic nu-metal stuff for the masses but still believe they’re new and original, then it sucks. “Oh my god, I’m so goth”, I hate that crap. They are as real and gothic as Avril Lavigne is punk. However, there is some good music out there which I would call “emo”, like Nada Surf or Fugazi.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Gasp, I own Dashboard Confessional’s album… And several Deathcab For Cutie discs… And Taking Back Sunday…

:)

Ryan

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Evanescence is not “emo” — they are what you would call Christian “new rock”. Emo is all about the screaming, so call it screamo!

Ryan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.