Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman: Nacho Libre

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Dan Goldwasser of SoundtrackNet has just informed me that Danny Elfman is scoring NACHO LIBRE, starring Jack Black and from the director of NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE (name? edit: that’d be Jared Hess…)

Wow – when the hell did he write this score? Elfman is set to record in a week or two.

Ryan

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I had heard Beck was writing the score, but a browsing of the IMDb boards shows knowledge of Danny as far back as March 31. That’s really crazy news…the movie’s out in less than two months! I wonder if it’ll be a rock-type score, or what. I wasn’t too excited about this movie before, as I hated “Napoleon Dynamite,” but now I have a reason to see this.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Spider-Fan, you are right. There was indeed a post stating that back in March. Wonder who “ricksolo” is. How many “Rick”s do we know of? :)

Ryan

Dawg Man
    Participant

Shit, I didn’t see this coming.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Maybe I spoke too soon when I mentioned in the “Meet the Robinsons” topic that Danny should diversify his projects more and move away from kiddie movies. This will be a very interesting outcome; unless I’m mistaken, this will be Danny’s first Spanish-themed score (not including Spy Kids) and his first all-out comedy in quite a while. I’m going to wait and see where this goes, especially in so little time, although “Hulk” showed he’s still good under pressure.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Holy f**king-sh*t!

SleepyHello
    Participant

I totally wasn’t going to see this movie. Now I’m totally going to see this movie.

RCox
    Participant

I get the feeling that we won’t get a score release. Oh, well. Fingers crossed. Then again, this could also be a very brief score.

Juanki
    Participant

It really looks like an “inspired songs” soundtrack along with 2 or 3 Elfman’s tracks.

I hope I am wrong about this

Juanki

Edward Bloom
    Participant

I think you are : I’d say one Elfman’s track. :(

Monsterhead
    Participant

Huh???

Now I remember when listening to Elfman in the radio interview for LA’s Classical radio station back in December that he hates doing comedies. In fact he said something like “I’m the most unhappiest when doing things like this. I just don’t know what to do with a comedy” I’m paraphrasing of course.

I wonder what interested him? Working with Jarred Hess? Doing a spanish based score? Or just doing a quickie gig that required little from him creatively, and just have some fun?

I’ll bet it was the last one…

Anyway, I’m excited to hear it.

Edward Bloom
    Participant

And you know, there’s also that thing called “dollar”…

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

I’d say there’s only about 15 minutes of Elfman score in it, and nothing to get overly excited about. Jack Black’s in it, though, so I’m definitely going to see it.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I wonder what interested him? Working with Jarred Hess? Doing a spanish based score? Or just doing a quickie gig that required little from him creatively, and just have some fun?

That’s a really good question. Maybe Danny really liked the temp-track.

Maybe the director is giving him free reign to write whatever he like’s.

Remember that Hess’ first movie cost virtually nothing to make. Now he is finishing post production on his second, and he already has the “Second Most Powerful Composer” at his disposal. I’m sure he just said “do what you want, Danny.”

I doubt Hess will squander Elfman’s music to make room for indie songs.

Monsterhead
    Participant

I almost have a hard time thinking that he’s doing it just for the money. Otherwise we’d of seen the ever popular NACHO LIBRE THEME by Danny Elfman. Additional score by John Debney. He he he. No, I think there’s something else here that got him interested, something that makes me now interested to see the film.

Besides, I love Mexican Wrestling films, and perhaps this is Danny’s chance to do the closest thing to a SANTO film. And if you have not seen SANTO AND THE BLUE DEMON VERSUS THE MONSTERS you simply have not seen a mexican wrestling/horror movie

SleepyHello
    Participant

I haven’t, actually.

Dawg Man
    Participant

Napoleon Dynamite created a lot of fans. I think Elfman probably loved that goofy-ass movie and that’s why he’s doing this one.

Elfman to Sam Raimi: “Dangit! I don’t care about the flippin’ temp track!! GOSH!!!”

Lucius
    Participant

You know, i had a feeling Elfman was going to surprise us with an extra score this year. With “Charlotte” finished and “Robinson’s” not coming out till next year I’m sure he was getting antzy.

Now, I too HATED that there ‘Napoloean’ movie, not because of the actors but the director. ( I mean, come on…use more than one camera angle on the dance sequence…don’t just zoom in and out!) Hell, I still believe that if Wes Anderson made that movie it would have been brilliant.

But, I LOVE Jack Black and Mike White. Hell, they were born to work together and create “Black and White” productions…too perfect. And now that Elfman is involved, his comic timing and mastery(?) of musical ‘beats’ will make this movie 100% funnier. THis movie already had my money, now it’s gonna get a lot more of it.

Lucius

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I almost have a hard time thinking that he’s doing it just for the money.

Of course Elfman is doing it for the money. With a budget as great as Nacho Libre, how can he resist that cold-hard cash?

(The budget of Spider-Man 3 is 250 million, by the way.)

Monsterhead
    Participant

From imdb:

This is probably the lamest installment in the “Santo” series, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun! Once again, the good and noble Santo must battle mad scientists, monsters and evil masterminds before their terrible plans to take over the world come to fruition! There’s a mummy, a werewolf, a vampire and his seductive assistant, a hunchbacked midget, a really stupid looking cyclops and a pretty blond girlfriend for our hero to save from them all. There’s even an evil clone of the Blue Demon! It’s almost sacrilege to watch these two loyal buddies kick the crap out of each other!!! The plot is threadbare, the make-up effects are AWFUL, but who cares? It’s all about Santo giving the smackdown to some bad guys, both in and out of the wrestling ring. There’s no gore, no nudity or sex, just lots and lots of silly butt-kicking fun. In my opinion, there’s no such thing as a BAD Santo movie. There’s just cheesy, cheesier and cheesiest. This is the cheesiest, but that’s what makes it great. Santo fans should NOT miss this one.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Elfman can do any fucking thing he wants. He’s doing it because he wants to.

Danny_Trejo
    Participant

WHAT THE FUCK!

yeah i know, this reply will be erased, but i’m just that shocked!

gaba
    Participant

Jack Black. Danny Elfman. Could one possibly stuff more pink-fluffy-happiness into one piece of news? ;-)

Awesome.

admin
    Participant

sajrocks
    Participant

This is going to be fun. I hear accordions, flamenco guitars and the “Mexican Hat Dance” inverted and pumped up to 45 RPMs. Ole!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.