Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Elfman’s Mission to Mars Rejected Score??

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jumby007
    Participant

Has anyone heard about this? Someone told me there is some music floating around the web which contains Elfman’s supposive rejected score to Mission to Mars. This is the first I’d ever heard of this, though it makes a tiny bit of sense, in that he had previously worked with DePalma on Mission: Impossible a few years earlier.

Anyone have a clue if this is true or not?

Thor
    Participant

I am pretty sure Danny had nothing to do with MISSION TO MARS. Perhaps someone confused it with MARS ATTACKS. Either way, this is a rumour.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Let me lay this to rest.

A gent on the FILMUS-L discussion list had the tracks. I e-mailed him to see if he’d send them to me so I could listen to them.

None of them are even remotely Danny Elfman.

The first cue is a re-recording (possibly synth) of “Master Alarm” from James Horner’s APOLLO 13 score, and the others are mostly sound effects-like loops and atmospherics. There are no Elfman signatures, nothing to indicate that he wrote the music.

Ryan

Monsterhead
    Participant

Yeah, I’d say it’s bullsh*t to. And wasn’t Danny brought on board to MISSION IMPOSSIBLE after Alan Silvestri’s score was rejected? Elfman was Tom Cruise’s choice, not De Palma’s . Cruise and DePalma did nothing but fight through the entire movie, so who knows if DePalma even liked working with Elfman, he probably gave up at that point…..

Spider-Fan
    Participant

Mission to Mars was a crappy movie with an awful score. It was much better in the form of Epcot’s “Mission: SPACE” ride, which incorporated elements of the movie (Gary Sinise, Mars, and the centrifuge spaceship in the queue line) and threw in some more thematic and entertaining music from Trevor Rabin and a really kickass ride. It’s a good thing Danny had no involvement with the movie.

jumby007
    Participant

So I figured.

I wonder how bored one has to be to make something like that up? Next thing you’ll know, someone will make up Elfman’s rejected score to Child’s Play 2! Oh wait, that happened already too….

Monsterhead
    Participant

Has Elfman ever had a rejected score?

jumby007
    Participant

Not really, unless you count Spider-man 2, or A Civil Action, which had about half the cues thrown out, moved around, or buried in the mix.

I heard him on XFM awhile back, and he said he was extremely close to getting kicked off of Sommersby. He said he had to re-write a lot of the music in the last hour. I wonder what it sounded like before that?

johnmullin
    Participant

Well, in the case of A CIVIL ACTION, the film was pretty dramatically reediting at the 11th hour and Danny had to go back and rescore a bunch of stuff. A lot of the album consists of cues recorded for the first cut of the picture that didn’t really fit the new version of the movie. Much of what he did is in there, and only a little of it got drops (notably the main title cue).

Another on the list of “sorta rejected” scores, however, is ANYWHERE BUT HERE. Danny only wrote a short score for the movie, but even so several cues were dropped in favor of pop songs. I read an interview with him sometime after where he said that he really wanted to take his name off the picture, but his agent convinced him not to.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

Has Elfman ever had a rejected score?

Not to my knowledge, no.

admin
    Participant

so true CrAzY so cusin lolo would say ha ha ha!!!

Thor
    Participant

Yes, and in the case of SOMMERSBY, the producers eventually decided to make the film LESS a suspense romance and more a REGULAR romance. So Elfman’s score had to adapt to that.

Monsterhead
    Participant

So was Jon Amiel a fan of what Elfman did? I wonder, seeing how he has chosen not to work with him since. Interesting notes on SOMMERSBY though, I think his music is quite good on that one….

Donnie_Darko88
    Participant

I agree! His music is excellent! I think the studio must’ve liked what Elfman did as didn’t they use a piece of the score for one of their logos music?

Alois Previtera
    Participant

Girava un file rar nel 2006 “Mission to Mars rejected (10min) – Danny Elfman (320)” contenente due tracce intitolate “Danny Elfman – Track 1 – Losing Woody (with sfx)” e “Danny Elfman – Track 2 – The Planetarium”. Non suonano però come lo stile di Elfman, a meno che non stesse sperimentando. Ci sono dei richiami rock e cori che fanno pensare a Planet of the Apes. In alcuni passaggi sembra più la musica di Alan Silvestri o di Mark Snow.

Thor
    Participant

English, please.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

I ran that through Google Translate when I saw it posted and it’s making another case for this rejected MISSION TO MARS score. But really it never happened, and like stated above, the cues are clearly not by Elfman.

DannyBiker
    Participant

Actually, he’s actually also saying that these tracks do not sound much like Elfman, so there’s that.

Hey, my Italian is not that rusty…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.