Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Evan Almighty – Elfman?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Danny Burton
    Participant

Has anyone seen this trainwreck?

John Debney did the score, but there’s a scene where Steve Carrell is shaving and trimming his nose hair, getting ready for his first day of work at Congress, and the music playing is an almost note by note copy of Elfman’s Main Titles from The Family Man.

boingomusic
    Participant

I’m pretty disappointed. I had a lot of respect for John Debney. I really loved his scores for Hocus Posus, The Halloween Tree, or his take on Phantom Manor (the Haunted Mansion from Disneyland Paris)…

Debney also worked with Elfman on a few projects…
    It’s sad to hear this.

Here’s the link : it’s the 4th track !

http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Almighty-John-Debney/dp/B000QUCQDI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1196180381&sr=1-2

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

Heh. Wow. I can hear him now: “The temp track made me do it!”

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster
    evil-dead
    Participant

WOW….. is that legal?

TenderLumpling
    Participant

I think it is.

It’s very hard to prove in court that a composer in question consciously ripped off a piece of music. However, James Horner HAS been sued before, if memory serves.

boingomusic
    Participant

James Horner ? Really ? I always thought this story was a joke. I mean, we all know how Horner works ;-) but I didn’t know there was a true story here…
    What was the score he was sued for ??? What happened?

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS.

He was sued, successfully, by Raymond Scott and/or his estate.

Dawg Man
    Participant

By Nino Rota’s estate too, I believe — but just for credit. That was the Amacord theme he used in that movie, and note for note too. I mean… if you’re going to rip something off, be a little more clever about it.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

I just uncovered my Horner mix CD… what a great composer, despite that whole stealing other peoples’ music thing. Anyway one listen to “The Rocketeer” makes everything better.

TenderLumpling
    Participant

You can hear it here:

Also, when Rick Moranis looks at the broom, you can hear the same damn music that’s associated with the Nazis in The Rocketeer.

Spider-Fan
    Participant

No arguments there. Still, “The Rocketeer” is an amazing score in full.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.