Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Filmscoring software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have recently been thinking on different options to make money out of music, and I remembered the old times when I was a Danny Elfman fan and was all into film scoring music… so I decided to revisit that world, this time with a goal in my mind, and get into the whole scoring scene and find out what the options are.

I have Sibelius, which as you should know, has an application for composing music to video. I have begun practicing with that but I’m sure there are programs that are designed specifically for that.

That’s why I thought I’d come to a place like this and ask if anyone knows of such program. What is the filmscoring Sibelius? (If possible, also as user friendly as Sibelius is).

Thanks

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

You might as well open a restaurant that caters to the sasquatch. Film scoring isn’t really an avenue for someone wanting to make a go of it. It’s a cut throat, extremely small world where few survive and even fewer make a living out of it.

That said, I’m sure there’s someone here who can recommend some software like Logic, Cakewalk or the like.

Mr. Dantz
    Participant

All the major sequencers (Sonar, Logic, Digital Performer, etc.) have the option to score to video. As for which is better, it’s all just a matter of preference. Elfman uses Digital Performer. I use Sonar. Although, I rarely score anything, as I’m more of just a recording artist. But the option is there whenever I need it.

D-Bo
    Participant

I’ve been using Logic Pro, almost exclusively for scoring to picture, for almost a year and love it. A word of caution, though: many of the more powerful sequencers, such as the ones Mr. Dantz mentioned, take some getting used to when coming from working mostly in notation software. Before really getting into film music composition I was using Finale. The transition can be difficult, but the switch will be well worth it. You’ll find eventually that you’ll get more done faster if you use a proper sequencer rather than notation software.

Anonymous
    Inactive

D-Bo Wrote:

> I’ve been using Logic Pro, almost exclusively for
    > scoring to picture, for almost a year and love it.
    > A word of caution, though: many of the more
    > powerful sequencers, such as the ones Mr. Dantz
    > mentioned, take some getting used to when coming
    > from working mostly in notation software. Before
    > really getting into film music composition I was
    > using Finale. The transition can be difficult,
    > but the switch will be well worth it. You’ll find
    > eventually that you’ll get more done faster if you
    > use a proper sequencer rather than notation
    > software.

You mean with a good sequencer I could even stick to Sibelius?

Which brings up the next essential question: What’s a good sequencer you would recommend?

gaba
    Participant

Cubase is rather versatile, and if you set up your work areas right, working with video is pretty comfortable.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Personally, I use Finale to get the music entered, and then I create a MIDI file and use Samplitute…I love the software. I have gotten very professional results, and it gives me a lot control over the final mix, but it costs a lot of money. If you like notation programs, you might try Overture made my Geniesoft. This program is fully VSTi compatible. Finale will not allow the user to use any VSTi they wish, but the program is limited. For example, I cannot find the option to record the files to bit, and they have some sort of mixer, but I cannot hear any stereophonic separation when the final mix has been rendered.

“If you’re not going to kill me, I have things to do.”

Julie, from Darkman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.