Skip to content

Forums Forums General Discussion Goosebumps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    ddddeeee
    Participant

I love almost everything he does but I’m really loving this one.

This is Danny unleashed. It’s like a tongue-in-cheek Nightbreed.

Off to play the opening track a dozen more times.

boingomusic
    Participant

Just got my CD today. Didn’t expect it to arrive this soon.

So far, I’ve listened to the first two tracks. It’s early to react, but I must say I’m not a huge fan of the titles… It’s a mix of pretty much everthing he’s done so far, without having any strong theme… I’m a little disappointed.
    The second track, the quiet, lovely and happy kind of atmosphere is very pleasant, but again, it could be part of Frankenweenie, Meet the robinsons, or any other score he’s done these past few years.
    There’s no “Signature” theme. Now… I will have to listen to more of it on the train, on my way to his show in PARIS tomorrow night ;-) ;-) ;-)

Lambegue
    Participant

From what was indicated when I did my order, for me it will not arrive until the middle of November…

But I’l be in Paris too, tomorrow evening !

boingomusic
    Participant

You mean tonight? Saturday at 9.30 pm? Or Sunday?
    If you’re there tonight, it would be great to meet you.

Lambegue
    Participant

Tonight, at 21h30. And I agree on a meeting, if you see a way to organize it so quickly !

boingomusic
    Participant

Well, My Seat is 3N31. I’ll be with my dad. Wearing black pants and a black shirt with thin white strays. Maybe we can see each other during the break.

Lambegue
    Participant

Ok. My seat is 2C1, I ll try to find you then. I wear blue jeans and a brown jacket, and I have quite big glasses…

Edit
    I didn t see you at the indicated seat but maybe I was looking at the wrong place ?i ll be waiting next to door 2 after the show. Hoping you ll see this message.

DannyBiker
    Participant

So…did you kiss ? :)

How was it ?

ddddeeee
    Participant

Critics seem to be digging the score and the movie.

One described Elfman’s music as ‘subtle’ though. Erm…

Lambegue
    Participant

We didn’t find each other… too bad.

The show was wonderful. I knew all these musics, but it’s really moving to hear them live, it’s like discovering them again. Plus, for “Pee Wee” and “Beetlejuice”, the suites add complexity to the original music, I really had the feeling to hear today’s more experienced Elfman rewriting his works of youth…
    And, of course, Nightmare Before Christmas was a very big pleasure. Elfman has a great energy on the stage, he really seemed at ease and happy to sing…

bookbinder3
    Participant

Haven’t got my CD yet, it was delayed by a week to the 16th (anyone else?) I wasn’t sure about the samples, and like some of you was unsure about a coherent theme…but I’m really enjoying the full tracks on Youtube. I’ve only listened to “Goosebumps” and “Credits” though, as I’m waiting to hear the rest on my stereo. Love the little pieces of the main theme played by the solo clarinet etc in the Credits. Miffed that the film seems to not be coming to the UK until February, I thought those days were over. Anyone else enjoying/not enjoying the score so far?

Monsterhead
    Participant

The opening credits is a total misfire, in my opinion and not indicative of the rest of the wonderful score. I found myself replaying quite a few of the tracks. So far, I’m really loving it and can’t wait to see/hear the score in the movie.

boingomusic
    Participant

Lambegue, we messed up…!
    I went looking for you at your seat, and didn’t find you either… I guess we both left our seat to go looking for the other.

The show was great. Danny was great. Way more energy than when I saw him the first night in London, and in Lucerne in Switzerland last year. He seems to enjoy singing, and it’s a great treat to see him have fun like this, and grinning like he did at the end. He still looks like he’s in the middle of a Boingo show!!!! So much energy!!!

The french orchestra was the weak part. A lot, I mean LOTS of sour notes. Even the choir’s singing was off at some moments. The pianist was really bad in my opinion. And I was surprised how the main melodies were sometimes burried under the other harmonies. The instruments weren’t even in synch in some parts!!!!

It’s a shame to invite a legend like John Mauceri to conduct an orchestra that isn’t even properly trained and ready to play.
    It lacked a lot of dynamism, compared to the BBC orchestra in London, or even the 21st Century Orchestra in Lucerne.

I doubt that Elfman was happy with their performance. I know he’s very precise and he knows what he wants.
    I’m sure he was disappointed. I’ve seen him praise and thank orchestras after their performance, but he did not do anything this time.

Plus, the orchestra in London was way bigger as well. Way more percussions. Way more players. A real organ. A real celesta. And I’m not going to talk about the THEREMIN player, who was OFF during the whole concert. It was an insult to elfman’s melodies….

I know I’m being harsh… But this was the third time I was seeing the concert. And I’m shocked to see so much amateurism when you’re inviting people as professional and important as Elfman and Mauceri.
    The french organizer, Overlook Entertainement, should have put more effort into the quality of the performance, instead of all the merchandising (t-shirts, postcards, posters, SO EXPENSIVE stuff). The tickets were already double the price of what I paied for the best seat in London, and triple the price of what I spent in Switzerland.
    They even found a way to sell 300$ VIP tickets to be able to see Elfman after the show. Only way to get to see him.

I saw Elfman in London after the show. I saw him in Lucerne too, because he came out by himself right after the show. We didn’t even have to wait, and he took a lot of time to chat, take pictures and sign stuff.
    But for some reason, with Overlook entertainement in Paris, people have to be really rich to do so…. A shame…

DannyBiker
    Participant

Yeah I got pretty bad feedbacks from the orchestra as well. Curious to see which orchestra will be playing in Brussels in a month.

I’m still wondering if I’ll try to wait for him after the show. VIP experience doesn’t mention any “Meet & Greet”, so I hope he will be “accessible” after the show somehow.

Lambegue
    Participant

I guess you’re right, Boingomusic, but because of the excitment of seing it for the first time I forgave most of the mistakes. Except for Corpse Bride’s piano solo…
    Curious too that they didn’t play the Big Eyes suite, I thought it had been added to the show ?

DannyBiker
    Participant

I really think that the Big Eyes addition was mentioned once online but I’ve never read any proof/report that it actually happened.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

Still waiting for GOOSEBUMPS. Amazon.ca doesn’t ship the CD until Oct 30 :/

ddddeeee
    Participant

The first track plays over a (pretty wonderful) animated end title sequence. If that cue sounds too hectic to you, it’s because Elfman catches every single thing in the sequence.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

GOOSEBUMPS on vinyl courtesy Waxwork Records with cover art from book series illustrator Tim Jacobus! Pre-order starts Friday, October 30th.

http://waxworkrecords.com/blogs/news/60979461-goosebumps-original-motion-picture-soundtrack

ddddeeee
    Participant

I don’t care for Vinyl but I’m kind of going to need that…

Thor
    Participant

Been listening to this a couple of times (a digital promo version, haven’t acquired the physical disc yet), and it hasn’t quite hooked me. It’s not the kind of Elfman I prefer these days, to be honest. Even without the bonus tracks, the album is a bit too bombastic and hectic. Hopefully, it will grow on me a bit, but I’d rather wait for the next mellow score for an indie film, which is where I feel he excels.

Ryan Keaveney
    Keymaster

This score is growing on me. Love the little WOLF MAN nods in “Slappy”, and Elfman is at his most Williams-y in “Mantis Chase”!

ddddeeee
    Participant

Really fun movie. The film version of ‘Hannah’s Back’ is so much better.

ddddeeee
    Participant
    DannyBiker
    Participant

Can’t wait for the sequel to conflict with the schedule of the next Burton film…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.